We have puppies!

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Shorty started the first stage of labor around 11:45 p.m Friday. She went in and out of active labor from 5 am until 7 am this morning. The first pup was born about 2:30 pm today. It's a little boy. The 2nd pup was stillborn.
About an hour later, she had 2 more pups. So, 3 live birth and one passed. (So far. She could have more) She's doing great with them. And I have to say I'm glad there was paper down. She came out of the whelping box and her water broke all over the paper on the floor. But the pups were born in the box and she's doing very well with them. When she calms down about having someone around, I'll snap a picture of her and the pups.

Thanks for all the help through this. I'm sure Shorty thanks everyone, too!!

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats! sorry to hear one little guy didn't make it. But I'm glad Shorty has done so well. I think she'll do great as a mum, even though it was early in her life. Good for you for all YOUR help, you've done so much for Shorty and we all say thanks on her behalf!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations! Sorry to hear about the stillborn

Can't wait to see photos of the new babies!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
yay puppies! Glad that Shorty is doing well. I can't wait for pictures either.

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry about the one puppy

But very glad the others made it
and that mom had no complications being a puppy herself. Do they all look like husky colors or could daddy be something else? I can't wait for pics. Mom should probably go to the vet now to make sure she did not retain any pups or placentas because they can go toxic and kill her. This book was suggested to me for you " How To Raise A Puppy You Can Live With " ( Rutherford and Neil ). It will help a lot. You've done a great job! I can't wait for pics!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We named the first born "Free Willy". LOL The fourth born is ugly as sin. There is no, so ugly he's cute. Hims just ugly. So, we're calling him Big Ugly. The little girl hasn't got a name yet. I'll wait for her personality to show before giving her a name. Right now she's just "baby".

Shorty is still doing very well. I planned to call the vets to get her and them in for a check-up. Thanks for reminding me, Maxy. I'm not sure how well it's going to work as Shorty is highly posessive with the pups. She hardly leaves their side, she covers them with her body/head if you're with her for more then 5 minutes. She doesn't like you to touch them in any way. I'm going to talk all of it over with the vet, though. I just feel with her being a new mommy, she just doesn't know what to expect and is protective.

I had my Uncles girlfriend come out to look at the pups. She said all 3 look just like Husky puppies. The Angel that passed looked like a Cocker Spaniel. Found out she has a Cocker over there that could have mated with Shorty. But the puppies resemble Shortys Dad and her own sibilings when they were pups. So, it's possible that she got pregnant by her Dad. I hope that doesn't cause issues with the pups as they get older. Cathy (the girlfriend) said she could get the pups sold for me without registration papers. I insist on adoption papers, though.

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They are part Siberian Husky and we don't know what else. LOL As soon as I can get them uploaded, I'll post them in the fur picture thread here. There's only 2 I was able to take. One of Shorty with the pups and one of all 3 pups.

Edit to add: the pics are up but they look huge to me.

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just a quick update:
Shorty and the pups went in for a check-up. She did amazingly well for the ride in and home. We had to seperate them in order for the vet to look at the pups. "Mom" kept growling at him when he went near them. They are fine and have their "fingers and toes." Shorty got her shot to expel anything that might be left in her uterus. The vet said she looks good "but worn out." LOL And unless something comes up with Shorty, he doesn't need to see them until the pups wean so we can get Shorty spayed and the pups their first shots. I can try and start weaning them about 5 weeks of age. They have to be off Mom for 10 days for her milk to dry before her spay.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry about the stillborn.

I am glad Shorty and her other pups are doing well, though!

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear the remaining puppies are OK. When their eyes open its time to start training them. Get them used to lots of different ppl but take precautions - no shoes & wash hands before handling. They also need to get used to all sorts of noises & other animals. Sorry to sound pushy, you may already know all this. Its just my border collie, now nearly 14, wasn't socialized properly & I had to be careful of her around other ppl & dogs. I've been an obedience instructor for 10 yrs & been to lots of conferences about all aspects of dogs & their problems & training.
It's good to give the new owners a good start & suggest they take them to puppy preschool.
Enjoy the experience, it goes all too quickly.

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Kalikat
Glad to hear the remaining puppies are OK. When their eyes open its time to start training them. Get them used to lots of different ppl but take precautions - no shoes & wash hands before handling. They also need to get used to all sorts of noises & other animals. Sorry to sound pushy, you may already know all this. Its just my border collie, now nearly 14, wasn't socialized properly & I had to be careful of her around other ppl & dogs. I've been an obedience instructor for 10 yrs & been to lots of conferences about all aspects of dogs & their problems & training.
It's good to give the new owners a good start & suggest they take them to puppy preschool.
Enjoy the experience, it goes all too quickly
I can use as many hints, tips and help anyone can give me on raising these 3. I'm out of my element here. My "puppies" all came to me at 10 weeks or older.

ClaireBear
Congrats on your new babies. What kind of dogs are they?
Supposed to be Husky. I don't think they are but I guess we'll see as they grown into their wrinkles. LOL

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can use as many hints, tips and help anyone can give me on raising these 3. I'm out of my element here. My "puppies" all came to me at 10 weeks or older.
I REALLY suggest www.chazhound.com/forums just make sure they know that shorty was already prego when you got her, so they don't get angry that you bred your dog. It really is a great forum. I also agree that socialization should start NOW. Get them used to as many things as you safely can. You can't expose them to many other living beings for fear of disease, but they can meet people (just have them wash their hands) in your home and you should get them used to noises like the TV, running water, whistling, clapping, thunder, car noises (through an open window, don't bring them outside of course). also get them used to being handled. Touch them everywhere rub them down with a moist cloth and dry them off very well with another cloth. It is very important to touch their feet, ears, mouth, tails, legs and everywhere. That is the biggest problem I found with my dog, he could get aggressive if you handled his feet. A lot of dogs don't like their ears touched. be like a little kid, they touch everywhere on a dog.I'm sure I'll think of something else, and will *hopefully* see you on Chazhound