Wasps in the floor

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I found there is a wasps nest under the floor in my house.

There is a crack between the door threshhold and subsill that they are coming in and out of, worse, i hear them buzzing under the subfloor in Indys room.

Last thing I want is her getting stung by the little buggers. So pulling the floor up is not an option.

I believe it is either a couple nests or a supernest based on the numbers that come out when I try spraying foam into the crack. About 10 or so come swarming out pissed off.

I have to find a way to get rid of them. I really don't want them inside Indys room or my house.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are using that insulation type foam to keep them from coming up? I have done that in the past.

I googled "how to get rid of wasps in the floor" and a number of solutions came up, seemingly repeatedly. You might try that and see if any of them might work. Some were to use peppermint oil, but I once wasted a lot of time trying to discourage some rats to move with things like cayenne pepper and dry mustard and...peppermint oil.

You might be very capable of handling this yourself and might want someone who can give that kind of advice, which I cannot. At our other house, the people next door had an infestation and it moved to ours. Because wasps use drywall type materials for their own nests, we had one chew through the ceiling at which point I called an exterminator. The neighbors had to get a bee keeper type person.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would call a professional. They will know how to do it without anyone getting hurt and may be able to relocate the nest instead of just killing it. The company I work for sometimes cross paths with bees and wasps, we always call the professionals in because otherwise we are risking the safety of everyone to save a few bucks.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found there is a wasps nest under the floor in my house.

There is a crack between the door threshhold and subsill that they are coming in and out of, worse, i hear them buzzing under the subfloor in Indys room.

Last thing I want is her getting stung by the little buggers. So pulling the floor up is not an option.

I believe it is either a couple nests or a supernest based on the numbers that come out when I try spraying foam into the crack. About 10 or so come swarming out pissed off.

I have to find a way to get rid of them. I really don't want them inside Indys room or my house.

Edit: eeeeewww I just got to a point in the video I did not like at all
😧🤢🤮 🐝🐓

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Spoiler Alert: by about 6:40 he has the nest vacuumed and removed from the floor. He then feeds the wasps to the chickens and gives the frame of the nest to a very cute pet-type squirrel.

This type of removal might work depending on access and does not use chemicals, so would be safe for the cats.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Based on the location and not knowing how big it is, I'd call and exterminator. I'd be too scared to attempt it myself!
And the video heatherwillard0614 heatherwillard0614 posted, I love how the guy has a perfectly normal, professional voice until he starts talking to the squirrel :lol: Informative video!

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Based on the location and not knowing how big it is, I'd call and exterminator. I'd be too scared to attempt it myself!
And the video heatherwillard0614 heatherwillard0614 posted, I love how the guy has a perfectly normal, professional voice until he starts talking to the squirrel :lol: Informative video!
I would also go the professional route. For the reasons not knowing how big or exactly where it is.

iPappy iPappy I didn't like the chickens eating it I cut the video then... lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the guy with his chickens.

Found 10 dead wasps after spraying again. I sure wish they sold something like a powder i could just puff into the hole with a straw i unfortunatly cannot cut into the subfloor. I think theres also hydro and water lines in that area so don,t want to damage those either. Last thing I need is a flooded room or to be electrocuted.

I also don't want Indy to get stung, she will snap and swat at any kind of flying insect. I really don't want the wasps loose in my house either.

They are yellow jacket wasps.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I would not play around with any stingers.. I would call in a professional, asap... They know what to do..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I got some wasp spray with a straw and pumped a bunch of spray into the hole last night after the sun set.

Woke up to about 15 dead and dieing wasps around the threshhold a bit early to tell but I think I must have got the nest or at least part of it.

Will try it again tonight. I definatly am not plugging the hole untill im positive they are gone. Realy don't want Indy getting stung (and she will if they get in)