Warning: Chlorambucil side-effects

t c c

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just a warning to anyone starting their cat on Chlorambucil: I was told 85% of cats tolerate it well. That's possible. It's also possible cats don't, & vets don't relay the info back to the company, or owners just never contact the vet again after the death. I just had to put my kitty down this weekend, due to side effects from Chlorambucil.

My warning: if you start your cat on this- look for cognitive issues. Chlorambucil DID get rid of the diarrhea. But after 3 doses (prescribed 72 hours apart, 1.8 mg), he started to get "sensitivities" to noises, movements, etc. Now with 20/20 hindsight, I can see it was a side effect.

Unfortunately, 3 doses later, & he developed tremors, lost use of his back legs, lost significant weight even though he had been eating enough (400 cal./day), cognitive issues, & then the last 2 days he also lost his appetite, was having tremors/seizures, until a last one also took the strength from his front legs, & it was obvious there was no turning this around at this point (he had been off of Chlorambucil for 3 days at that point & symptoms just kept getting worse).

So I wanted to let you know, in case it saves another cat from being lost. At first sign of those cognitive issues/sensitivities, take cat off of Chlorambucil & schedule a vet appointment for a different medicine.

Chanel4011

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just a warning to anyone starting their cat on Chlorambucil: I was told 85% of cats tolerate it well. That's possible. It's also possible cats don't, & vets don't relay the info back to the company, or owners just never contact the vet again after the death. I just had to put my kitty down this weekend, due to side effects from Chlorambucil.

My warning: if you start your cat on this- look for cognitive issues. Chlorambucil DID get rid of the diarrhea. But after 3 doses (prescribed 72 hours apart, 1.8 mg), he started to get "sensitivities" to noises, movements, etc. Now with 20/20 hindsight, I can see it was a side effect.

Unfortunately, 3 doses later, & he developed tremors, lost use of his back legs, lost significant weight even though he had been eating enough (400 cal./day), cognitive issues, & then the last 2 days he also lost his appetite, was having tremors/seizures, until a last one also took the strength from his front legs, & it was obvious there was no turning this around at this point (he had been off of Chlorambucil for 3 days at that point & symptoms just kept getting worse).

So I wanted to let you know, in case it saves another cat from being lost. At first sign of those cognitive issues/sensitivities, take cat off of Chlorambucil & schedule a vet appointment for a different medicine.
Hi,
My cat developed tremors after being put on this med. she seems to lose control and fall over when it happens. How long was your cat on it ?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The OP has not been back in quite a while and you will probably not get a response. If you suspect that your cat is not tolerating this medication, get back to your vet or even the ER if her condition seems extreme enough. Yes, most cat tolerate it well, as did one of mine, but it does not mean that your cat is.

There has been a similar discussion in this thread; not identical, but about a cat who seems to have problems tolerating chlorambucil.
IBD cat not eating