WAAAAAY too many animals!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We do here too, its called the ASPCA and there should be some sort of branch of that in Michigan. Even if it is too far though, try to speak directly to a humane officer or rescue agent if possible. Explain the situation and that you have been basically ignored by other so-called rescues you spoke with. Ask them for some advice on what to do and who to contact. They should be able to help somehow or contact someone who can.

cyberkitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The SPCA is the equivileant of the RSPCA but it (like the one in the UK) is a kill shelter meaning that almost all ferals brought in, inlcuding kittens, end up eutheized. Certainly humane societies like the SPCA do place some cats for adoption but those tend to be owner turn ins and strays. Ferals or cats that come from a situation like this have almost no chance unless the branch of the SPCA is a no kill. For example, the only no kill SPCA in Quebec is in a small subuerb of Montreal. All the others are kill shelters. They say they do not have the room for the others so they have no choice but to euthenize. Also, the SPCA like the RSPCA is required by law to hand over the cats when asked by research organizations to be used in experiments.

The best hope for these cats is a rescue organization of some kind that is no kill. I do fear that if Family Services investigates and removes the children, animal control will be called in and the animals will end up at the SPCA but that action has been taken and it sounds like the children need help! I know (sort of) how you must feel - I myself have had to report parents for abuse and wondered if in the final analysis they would be OK but I am required by law do do so. I have little control once that starts.If there are some rescue groups in the area, could they help - or have you tried all of them already? I know it can be tough in rural areas.

anya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If the ASPCA is as good as the RSPCA then they should help. That would be the first place i'd call if i wanted help in the UK. They helped me when i needed to help 2 abandoned kittens that were stuck in a tree in a wood. (i know not the same thing as your facing). I hope everything goes okay, and keep us posted.

Oh and just to add that the RSPCA have changed their policy in the uk regarding the killing of animals. They now only ever put seriously ill animals down. If they have a chance of life they will help them. Their have been several high profile cases like this one in the UK recently and those animals that have been rescued have found homes (if they are healthy). Many of our local charaties and rescue centers take on animals that have been in the RSPCA centers for a long time.
I dont know what their stance is on supplying research centers. But i do agree with you that i prefere to help support other charaties that will treat all cats regardless of their health.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Anya

If the ASPCA is as good as the RSPCA then they should help. That would be the first place i'd call if i wanted help in the UK. They helped me when i needed to help 2 abandoned kittens that were stuck in a tree in a wood. (i know not the same thing as your facing). I hope everything goes okay, and keep us posted.

Oh and just to add that the RSPCA have changed their policy in the uk regarding the killing of animals. They now only ever put seriously ill animals down. If they have a chance of life they will help them. Their have been several high profile cases like this one in the UK recently and those animals that have been rescued have found homes (if they are healthy). Many of our local charaties and rescue centers take on animals that have been in the RSPCA centers for a long time.
I dont know what their stance is on supplying research centers. But i do agree with you that i prefere to help support other charaties that will treat all cats regardless of their health.
Anya....CyberKitten isn't talking about cats that can go into homes...most feral cats don't adjust well to life indoors so that oftentimes makes them unadoptable and then they are PTS. The ASPCA is located in New York so it would not be able to help in this instance.

Katie

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In Los Angeles animal abuse is reported to the LASPCA and they can investigate and have some sort of deal with the courts to make charges and levy fines against abusers. I know this for sure because I have done it.

Also the LA Humane Society investigates abuse charges for the County Animal Control and has the same sort of authority.

The trick is to only contact your local SPCA and Humane Society because they operate separately from the national groups. The National Groups web pages might help you find the local groups, but they are separate.

The Best Friends website might be helpful. I've find it helpful to send emails to many groups rather than depending on phone calls.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is such a terrible situation for you to be in, my heart goes out to you and to the poor animals.

I would call the Humane Society, the Animal Control, the Police Department and anyone else I could think of to try and get some help for this neighbor and her animals. I realize that the neighbor thinks she is "helping" but I would make it sound like she is going without food or other essentials to take care of the cats. If you called a couple of times a day, I think after a while they might be persuaded to look the situation over.

You are an angel to both your neighbor, even if she doesn't know it, but more so to our furry families. Bless you.

zazusdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know this may be a long shot but what about PETA? I know they have problems
But they might be of some help or get you in touch with the right people.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, please don't call PETA! They believe in NO PETS, and could euthanize them all!
I wouldn't trust them with a pet rock!