Vitamin D?

silkcatseyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello - reading past threads here on TCS made me wonder if my cats are getting enough vitamin D ( I certainly don't won't to overdose either!!!).

Because none of my 4 kitties like eggs (raw or cooked) and one of them vomits when I 'hide' a bit of egg yolk in her food, eggs are not used a lot here. That made me wonder if the vitamin D they get is sufficient?

I feed Dr Pierson's ground recipe, but I substitute some of the chicken meat with chicken hearts, and use chicken liver and a small amount of secreting organ (lamb or beef kidney) to achieve an 83/7/5/5 ratio. I use Dr P's higher amount of fish oil.

(I also feed the rabbit recipe, but only use the rabbit's organs and dilute the meat with extra turkey or beef or duck meat).

Twice a week, they also get high quality, no grain canned food

Sardines are a non-starter as none of my 4 will even look at them 

So, what do you think? Are they getting enough vitamin D or should add a pinch every now and then? And if so, how much?

Thank you

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a very difficult question to answer with absolute certainly. Egg yolk provides about half of the vit D in Dr. Ps recipe. The USDA database, which I use to analysis the nutrient content of a recipe, doesn't have how much vit D there is in chicken heart so it's hard to say whether it makes up for leaving out the egg yolk. According to the USDA database 1 large egg yolk contains 37 IU vit D. You could supplement based on that.