Vitamin A toxicity

Haifa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I have a query about vitamin A toxicity. I’m feeding my cat a mixture of Ziwi peak lamb and mackerel air dried food and instinct original chicken dry food and they both contain liver. Is it safe to continue feeding both?
Thanks

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're fine. Neither food contains too much vitamin A. Combining the foods in a rotation or even in a meal doesn't present any additional risk because whatever you are giving of one food is that much less you are giving of the other food. In other words, the vitamin A intake will be somewhat less than the higher food rather than the sum of the two. You would have to either feed additional liver besides what they are getting in their food or grossly overfeed them before you need to begin to worry about this.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Put another way, the article referenced above says liver is fine at 5 to 7% of the diet without any fear of nutrient overdose. If one food is 5% liver and the other is 6% liver, your cat will be getting something less than 6% liver rather than 11%.

If kitty eats 100 grams of 6%, that's 6 grams of liver.
If she eats 100 grams of 5%, that's 5 grams of liver.
If she eats 80 grams of 6% and 20 grams of 5%, that's going to be something greater than 5 and less than 6 for the same 100 grams of food.

You would need to feed something with greater than 7% liver to even begin to worry. In other words, you need to begin with a food that has an irresponsible amount (unlikely) or you would need to supplement her liver intake with something like fresh liver or freeze-dried liver treats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Haifa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply daftcat75