Videos for cats to watch... Good or bad???

bfmay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My newly-brought-into-the-house cat, Sammy, has been hiding under the couch, but he does spend some time with me and lets me pet him and hold him. Purr, purr, purr!! On the Purina website they have videos for your cat to watch. Birds, mice, and stuff like that. Sammy is fascinated! He seems to love these videos. He was quite an accomplished hunter when he lived outside, I'm sorry to say. But is this a fun activity or am I cruelly torturing him psychologically? He tries to move close to the mouse or bird and realizes he cannot, but he is still mesmerized and seems to love watching. Is this a bad thing to do with him or a good thing? It feels a bit sadistic to me.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You could try Cat Music for him instead.

You reminded me of the first time my angel Poppycat saw a bird on the TV, which flew off screen to the left. He ran from in front of the TV to the left and into the other room behind the TV room. He was definitely looking for the bird and trying to figure it out. He never did it again, but still.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bfmay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Exactly! So maybe what your cat saw was mentally stimulating like the Purina site said, and maybe not bad? I'm torn. What do you think?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know, honestly 🤔 . I felt bad because that was like a tease that didn't come to anything...

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
.... I'm torn. What do you think?
Since he finds those videos fascinating, I'd let him watch them for a while, then drag a toy around on the end of a string that he can actually catch. Then give him a treat or piece of kibble.

Even if he were watching real birds or rodents, he probably wouldn't catch every one he made an attempt at.