Vets are often an Overlooked Resource!!!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Money and Treatment of Animals in Need

For so many of us, money is often a problem.
But we're animal lovers - and if you're here on TCS, you're most likely especially a cat-lover! And we're here... because a stray cat adopted us. Or a pet is having a problem that we think is behavior - but might turn out to be a health issue (like peeing problems!). Or we see ferals in our yard, or at work - or one of the many, many, many places they live. And we want to help them!!!!

Re: the strays and ferals...we start by feeding them - and we find ourselves wanting to do more. Or they turn up on our porch looking ill - or with wounds from a fight.

We usually don't want to take them to the Humane Society - too often they end up euthanized. The SPCA shelters frequently have those same policies. ...and the local no-kill animal shelters are full. Especially when we need them the most.

Don't overlook a local vet! OK - so they're not all James Herriot (author of All Things Bright and Beautiful and other books with tales of being a country vet) - but think about it a moment. Very few vets make a lot of money. To be a vet, you MUST love animals!!!

If you have a stray or a feral that needs medical attention and you can't afford it - please try calling your vet anyway! And if you don't have a pet and a regular vet, just grab your phonebook and start calling those around you. Odds on, you'll find a sympathetic vet willing to work with you.

Many vets will have a humane trap or crate that they will lend to you. They probably won't charge rent to use it - because it means you are using it to bring an animal to them!

Most vets want to help - but can't afford to practice for free. However - if we can't afford to pay for their services all at once, most vets, if discussed up front, will allow us to pay for their services over time, ESPECIALLY if we are trying to help an animal in need.

Strays and ferals MUST be seen by a vet before you allow them to interact with any pets. And the best thing anyone can do to help a feral is to get it to a vet and have it spayed or neutered and vaccinated - even if all we are going to do is release it back into the wild. This is a costly procedure, both for us and the vet!

Whether your bill is $85 for treatment for a wounded animal, or $200 for spaying and vaccinations... $85 paid over three months is just $28 a month, and $200 paid over six months is just $33 a month.

...and that goes for our pets too. So often we think one of our pets has a behavior problem... but these are often indications of health problems. And if we're in a bind financially, we may hold off taking a pet to the vet when it may be a serious or urgent problem. PLEASE consider calling a vet to discuss a payment plan. Our pets need us to take care of them properly - they can't do it on their own!

...so if you want to help or your pet really should see a vet, but you don't have the money, please give your vet or any local vet a chance before you write-off the possibility of assistance that requires payment.

Finding Assistance

Vets are the heart of animal care... and they frequently know the animal lovers of the community. If you have found an animal (or animals) in need - call your local vets to see if they know of anyone who can provide assistance. They won't provide the phone number to you - but they may be willing to contact that person on your behalf. OUR vet certainly knows who to call when someone has a cat in need! If someone doesn't have the time or ability (for whatever reason) to trap a stray or feral cat - they know who to turn to besides animal control. We've been able to help cats in distant communities - by using on-line yellow pages, calling local vets, and locating "the crazy cat lady" (or man!) of the community.

Vets are a wonderful, but often overlooked resource, and odds-on they want to figure out a way to help you help an animal in need.

As the old ads for the Yellow Pages used to say... let your fingers do the walking! It's worth a try.

princess purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
great post! my vet is alot cheaper when you take multi cats in. I pay 85 for one kitty to have a vet or 120 for five to have a visit!

nighteyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Vet had a cat he found on the street, with a broken leg and one paw pad gone. The cat lived in his office for a year and found a home with elderly lady. I found a cat at work, took it to him he found this one a home also.

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you LDG for posting all that . I also have a great vet , I got a discount there for multi cats no matter how many I bring in . The vet don't charge me most of the time his fee , only treatments

nano

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If there is a university with a vet school nearby, contact them and see what can be done. The students are supervised during all procedures and while the "bedside manner" might be inconsistent they can technically get the job done.

Hook up with your local animal rescue group. The one in my town is currently sponsoring 100 alterations for cats over the next three weeks. Call them up, make a reasonable case and you can get one of the vouchers. Also consider donating a few dollars to the local shelter group and then you become an "affiliate" of that shelter and get a multi-cat discount when you go to certain vets.

Also, sometimes a local vet will "sponsor" your cat's treatment for the sake of good public relations and to draw business. There was a story on the local news of a stray cat getting on the interstate and getting hit by a car. So it was rescued by a cat owner, and a vet took care of this cat, and once it made the news of course the vet promised "free lifetime care" for this cat. It gave a happy ending, and of course this vet had to be aware of the publicity, but regardless -- free medical care for life is a good deal!

And there are always $5 shot days at the pet store and other deals to save money.

I can understand some people draw the line at $500's+ worth of bills on an older pet, but there is no excuse for a cat to go without being fixed plus basic preventative care.

ciera23

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Last night I was on my porch and saw a white cat. I called to him and he came towards me. He allowed me to pick him up and hold him. I noticed he was not neutered. I brought him in the house to get him something to eat and all he did was meow and howl extremely loudly! After a few minutes, he began pawing at the door. Why was he howling and meowing so much, was he scared or mad? Was it because he isn't fixed?
Thanks in advance for the answers.
I ended up letting him back out and now I can't find him so of course I feel sick worrying about him. Should I have kept him in here?

goldielocks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my family can barely afford paying bills, we cannot pay for getting my cat neutered, is it absolutly nessesary to neuter her?

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by goldielocks

my family can barely afford paying bills, we cannot pay for getting my cat neutered, is it absolutly nessesary to neuter her?
yes, i'm afraid it is.

her body cant cope with litter after litter she will otherwise be forced to produce. if you search this site for 'benefits of spaying' or type it in a search engine you can find out the dangers of not spaying.

if you dont she could get sick, she could run away, she could suffer malnutrition if not being fed right to produce these babies.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ciera23

Last night I was on my porch and saw a white cat. I called to him and he came towards me. He allowed me to pick him up and hold him. I noticed he was not neutered. I brought him in the house to get him something to eat and all he did was meow and howl extremely loudly! After a few minutes, he began pawing at the door. Why was he howling and meowing so much, was he scared or mad? Was it because he isn't fixed?
Thanks in advance for the answers.
I ended up letting him back out and now I can't find him so of course I feel sick worrying about him. Should I have kept him in here?
He was probably yowling to get back out...as an unneutered male, he was probably wanting to search for a female to mate with. I would have had him neutered and then allowed him to return back outdoors. If you find him again...please have him neutered.

Katie