Vaccines at same time

ChrisC101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 15 year old indoor only Ragdoll has to be boarded for the first time ever in 2 weeks due to a conflict with his normal sitter and travel by us. He’s due for his rabies booster which is of course mandatory for boarding, no problem. He’s right at his normal 3 year time for that. However the boarding place also recommends FVCRP booster though they will take a waiver on that. We don’t have much time, he sees vet on Monday and we leave exactly 12 days later. Should I have him get both vaccine boosters at the same time? Is there any risk that he gets these both together at the same time and then has issues that could last or create problems for 12 days prior to boarding or that could extend through the 10 days of boarding? Is there a risk of him NOT getting FVCRP booster? His last one of those was about 8 years ago. Appreciate any thoughts.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's normal for vets to give rabies and the FVCRP vaccines at the same time. The most common side effect of having both vaccines done at the same time is lethargy for a day or so and minimal appetite. Ask your vet if FVCRP is necessary for your cat and age and what risks there may be if you opt not to give the vaccine.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We happily accept waivers from vets at our boarding place, provided the cats been examined and the vet feels confident about that waiver. At 15, ask your vet if they really think he needs it. Does he go outside?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChrisC101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We happily accept waivers from vets at our boarding place, provided the cats been examined and the vet feels confident about that waiver. At 15, ask your vet if they really think he needs it. Does he go outside?
No he is indoor only, Ragdoll

ChrisC101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, I have no concern about just getting his Rabies booster, but I am worried about getting both at the same time and whether it would be ok to skip FVCRP. I read somewhere that they may actually have extended immunity on that for years despite vets pushing these every 3 years.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
The brand of vaccine can matter a lot, --hopefully your baby is still immune as you're thinking.

Whether the company is still even offering the version that caused problems, I don't know but my concern is that there might be clinics having this in their supplies (Felocell 4) without realizing the issues.

This is copied from that article I posted above;
The practice had begun administering Felocell 4 in mid-December as a substitute for its regular go-to, Felocell 3. Zoetis makes both. Felocell 3 is a version of a core vaccine recommended for all cats to protect against panleukopenia (cat distemper), calicivirus and rhinotracheitis. In late fall and early winter, that vaccine was on back order. As a substitute, Zoetis offered Felocell 4, which adds a modified live Chlamydia psittaci bacterium to the mix for protection against a respiratory tract disease that most often causes conjunctivitis.

Last edited:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If time weren't such an issue, your vet could run a titer on her, but I think those results take longer to get in. We've had several senior pets or pets with health problems bring a signed waiver from their vet and it has never caused in issue, but our dogs and cats don't have nose to nose contact with other boarders. On Monday, make sure the vet knows where he's being boarded (most vets are familiar with boarding facilities) and for how long, and with his age, what does he or she recommend for HIM.

CaseysMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know time is of the essence for you, but is there any way to find another sitter to keep your baby at home? I would think it would be really hard on a 15 yo cat to be boarded for the first time ever. I also would avoid all but absolutely necessary vaccines on a 15 yo cat.

ChrisC101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have no other option right now. One thing that is easing my mind a bit is that he has done many times in the car, truck and RV so hoping a bit over a week board will be tolerable. He won’t like it but he’s getting a big double condo and I will take one of his cubbies that he uses in the car as well as his food, blankie, etc. Two years ago we did a 2 month RV trip and he was in the truck sometimes for 8 hours per day before being let into the fifth wheel itself. And before that lots of car trips when we would go between houses north/south where he would spend 4-5 days at a time in the car And just let into a hotel room at night.
I will talk to vet but think he will get rabies only as that is required and a waiver on the other.
thanks much!