UTI caused by stress/ anxiety?

iluvcandy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
sofiecusion -

It's so hard for us who have little knowledge of these things. We grew up expecting doctors and vets to know the right thing to do. I would respect one of them greatly if they said they don't know or are not sure, and would consult with another vet or do research, but I've never come across one who does. Sometimes I feel they don't think enough, they just want the visit to go quickly so they can get on to the next patient to make more money. I could tell you some personal stories of negligence and indifference on the part of vets and human doctors. One so-called cat expert vet had me worried sick because Candy had 2 fat sacs on her lower belly, they didn't know what it was, told me to watch them in case they got bigger. I showed her an article to do a certain procedure, she did, and it turned out to be just fat. I took her to another vet and the technician said, "Oh, she has spay sway" (or something like that) that can happen to cats after they get spayed.

I don't think Summer reacting strangely, I think it was a normal. Some cats go crazy in the same situation. My cat just gets very quiet and still, like she's too scared to move, and she pants because she's so nervous. In the waiting room I keep Candy's carrier covered with a towel and keep other animals away. When cats are taken out of their home (territory) of course they're gonna be scared. And that's why you have to introduce a new cat very slowly to the resident cat.

I'm not sure what to say for you're trying a new vet, I'm on my 4th one since I moved here.

Sounds like the vet was unnerved by your question about the culture and was trying to cover up.

I hope Summer will be okay real soon.

Jill and Candy

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd take her to another vet. I agree - any cat is stressed at a vets office! Especially since she's had this UTI problem for so long, I have to question why your vet would let this problem go on for so long without a culture. I spoke to our vet - they automatically send out for a culture, but prescribe CEFA drops in the meantime. If something else is indicated by the results of the culture, then they change the meds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, they said that they would do a culture next time and that is the reson why the extra week after her antibiotics. But, they told me that they would do a culture next time too the time before last....hmmmm. Should I just make sure they do the culture this time, or get another vet just in case?

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just thought I'd update.....Summer went to the vet again and no sign of a UTI this time therefore a culture wasn't taken. She also didn't have any traces of blood either. Good news all around!

catlover67

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Sofie, glad to hear Summer is o.k. Hope your finals went well and have a great summer with "Summer" hee hee!!

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will! She is having fun in the heat right now. Maybe we'll have classes together in the autumn. I'll take care of Summer, you can take care of Autumn and to heck with those other two seasons!

P.S. I don't think I'm ready for "Autumn" to come too quickly, I have my own problems dealing with "Summer".