using Clorox spray to clean litter box?

rarepuss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use crystal (silica) litter. When i put new litter in the box (every 2-3 weeks), i usually just use Dawn, hot water and a soft sponge to clean the box. But i still can smell the litter if i put my nose up close to the clean box's inside walls and bottom.

I recently got this Clorox spray (made by Clorox) and i really love the way it cleans up the messes and how everything smells clean (as clean as bleach can smell) afterward!

Is there any harm in using bleach, even in a spray? Has anyone used this to clean litter boxes?

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When we first built our home, I was an idiot and I put in white everything ... countertops, sinks, toilets, floors ... *sigh* I used to tell my husband that when it came time to replace stuff, I wanted all of it to be "dirt-brown" colored. *grin* I LOVE Clorox Bleach Spray.

I don't use it in my litter boxes though ... I use Pine Sol instead. The bleach, for some reason, makes my male want to spray stud spray all over the walls next to the litter box so I don't use it. I don't know of any reason you can't use it, but I don't like it for ME. Pine Sol disinfects just every bit as well and doesn't cause my boy to turn into a firehose.

~gf~

myfirstragdoll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

When we first built our home, I was an idiot and I put in white everything ... countertops, sinks, toilets, floors ... *sigh* I used to tell my husband that when it came time to replace stuff, I wanted all of it to be "dirt-brown" colored. *grin* I LOVE Clorox Bleach Spray.

I don't use it in my litter boxes though ... I use Pine Sol instead. The bleach, for some reason, makes my male want to spray stud spray all over the walls next to the litter box so I don't use it. I don't know of any reason you can't use it, but I don't like it for ME. Pine Sol disinfects just every bit as well and doesn't cause my boy to turn into a firehose.

~gf~
I use the Clorox in TO clean Hersheys Litter box... I heard Pine Sol made cats sick..

There is more to smell than odor. It can also mean germs. To keep your catsâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] litter box free from germs that could harm him and/or you, daily cleaning is required, including cleaning the litter box itself. A solution of water and bleach (10 to 1) will disinfect the litter box from most bacteria. Some litters can clog sewer pipes, so be careful where you dispose bleach water. If diluted with enough water, a little litter down your toilet is usually safe. Do NOT use Pine-Sol or Lysol around cats. They contain phenol, which has proved harmful to felines. Bleach is your best disinfectant, unless you are using a disinfectant made for animal use, available at pet supply stores. here is the site I got it from.. http://absolutelycats.tripod.com/22Litter.html

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rarepuss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Great... i'll definitely use it on my next cleaning, i'm sure Marsh will thank me too

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can use vinegar and water to clean as well. If you do use bleach, just be sure and air-dry the boxes.

If you use PAM cooking spray on the bottom inside tray of the pan, cleanup is a breeze- just clean the pans, spray them, let them sit for a minute then dump clean litter on top

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

You can use vinegar and water to clean as well. If you do use bleach, just be sure and air-dry the boxes.
Good point! I forgot to mention I put mine out on my patio to air dry before filling again! Mary Anne, you think of everything!

If you use PAM cooking spray on the bottom inside tray of the pan, cleanup is a breeze- just clean the pans, spray them, let them sit for a minute then dump clean litter on top
Wow I never thought of this one! I'm going to try this myself!

qtkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you are worried about bacteria then why not try some Grapefruit Seed Extract. You can find it in your local healthfood or bulk food store. It is used as a food perservative in health foods because of its anti bacterial, anti fungal, and antimicrobial.

A few drops will do you, i use that solution for our rabbit cages, bird cage, litter box, cat carriers, food and water dishes. Not to mention just around the house expecially the potty !

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
i use vinger regularly and 3-4 times a yr i use ammonia.. I have only girls

alisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did hear that a chemical found in Pine Sol is bad for kittens. I think Clorox Clean Up is the best..for everything!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rarepuss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Alisa

I did hear that a chemical found in Pine Sol is bad for kittens. I think Clorox Clean Up is the best..for everything!
yeah, i have to agree, i've only had this cleaner for a few weeks, but it does a HELL of a job. I just bought a box of 140 latex gloves and i use them with the cleaner - doesn't make my hands stink

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use Clorox Whipes at the feline rescue agency i volunteer at to clean out the cages and the other surfaces. It cleans up surfaces very well, I don't have a single complaint.