US breeders: TICA vs. CFA registration?

williecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there a real difference between the two registries? Some breeders double register their cats, so kittens would be eligible for either, some just register with one. Most breeder I've researched will send the reg. papers after the buyer provides proof of desexing (i know other countries typically neuter before the sale but it doesnt seem common in the US) I absolutely plan to have mine fixed, but is there really a point to registering a pet?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Over here all paperwork is done by the breeders, I do think registering a pet matters, then there's a proper record of them.

Many in the US do early neuter too, I don't know anyone (in the US) who doesn't.

TICA and CFA accept different breeds, it's also a personal choice of which association the breeder prefers.

Last edited:

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's a matter of choice as well as logistics for some. TICA has areas where they are prominent and CFA has others. There is one TICA show closer to me than any CFA, but there are generally fewer TICA shows in the area I can manage traveling to. Also, while standards may be very similar between two breeds in CFA and TICA, the actual cats and 'trends' may be very different. I personally don't find the TICA registered Maus that I have seen attractive, they are just a little different in body style than what I am working towards.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

williecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Funny you should say that Sohni, I didn't realize the standards/trends are different. I just looked at the Aby breeders I considered before getting mine and I definitely like the look of TICA faces better. they almost look like two different breeds.

I looked at almost a dozen breeders (not all as seriously) and only one neutered before the sale. Maybe it varies by breed, but it wasn't the norm from what I saw.

In any case, she will be fixed next week and after I send the breeder proof, he will register her and send me her papers.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some breeds, like, the true/recognized hybrids, are only recognized by T.I.C.A. In other words, Bengals, Chausies, Safari, and Savannahs, are only "papered" by T.I.C.A.

Bengal: http://www.tica.org/public/breeds/bg/intro.php

Chausie:http://www.tica.org/public/breeds/cu/intro.php

Savannah:http://www.tica.org/public/breeds/sv/intro.php

I can't find the Safari cat hybrid, on T.I.C.A.
. It is a true hybrid, made, using a Geoffrey Cat ( Leopardus geoffroyi) and a domestic. An interesting link, on the Safari Cat: http://www.messybeast.com/small-hybrids/geoffroy-jaguarundi-hybrids.htm,

Last edited:

williecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Catperson, this is all so interesting to me.

I looked at quite a few breeds over the last year or so and I was initially drawn to the Savannah, they are so beautiful. But after talking to a breeder and reading up on them, I decided they aren't a good fit for a family with young kids. Plus we move frequently and some areas don't allow them. I like a lot of the hybrids but they will have to wait for my kids to grow up. I did some more research and found my beloved Abyssinian which I absolutely LOVE everything about! She's a great fit for our family, and luckily I found a good breeder to work with. He registers with TICA, so after her spay next week, Peppy will be registered there too.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
CFA has more restrictions on colors and the amount of generations needed for a cat to be considered 'pure enough' to be registered as a certain breed. This has been a problem with some BSHs as many of them have Persians in their pedigrees (and CFA has color restrictions for brits too, I haven't heard of another registry which doesn't recognize chocolate, lilac or colorpoint Brits).

williecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cat Person, my Aby is the absolute sweetest girl ever. She is very people-oriented, very friendly and outgoing, not really afraid of anything. She loves my kids, seems to enjoy them picking her up and carrying her around. She's super active, she's like a little spider monkey with her climbing but she's not destructive. She's very curious and what I call nosy. She follows me around all day long and "helps" with whatever I do. She has to be in the middle of everything and doesn't take no for an answer. She's also pretty quiet, very rarely talks, which I wish she did, and has a very soft voice. You can barely hear her. I really love this breed, I was drawn to them because they are so beautiful, but her temperament has made me a lifelong fan.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat Person, my Aby is the absolute sweetest girl ever. She is very people-oriented, very friendly and outgoing, not really afraid of anything. She loves my kids, seems to enjoy them picking her up and carrying her around. She's super active, she's like a little spider monkey with her climbing but she's not destructive. She's very curious and what I call nosy. She follows me around all day long and "helps" with whatever I do. She has to be in the middle of everything and doesn't take no for an answer. She's also pretty quiet, very rarely talks, which I wish she did, and has a very soft voice. You can barely hear her. I really love this breed, I was drawn to them because they are so beautiful, but her temperament has made me a lifelong fan.
Thank you, very much for the info. That, is very much, like a F3-SBT Savannah. Minus, the liking to be held and NOT destructive. If/when, you have time, I would love to see picture's of you're Abyssinian.