Urinary Crystals- What do you feed?

kitcatak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty Bear had a problem with crystals last summer. The vet recommended CD or WD foods. Bear refused to eat either one. She then suggested Royal Canin, which Bear did eat. I have since learned that there are better foods out there (Innova Evo, Felidae, etc.). I have been switching my kitties over to the Evo, but I have noticed they seem to be getting quite chunky, but I am afraid to switch them over to any old food, especially when the vet told me food switching could be what caused the crystals in the first place. So, what do you feed your kitties with "crystal" or blockage problems?

Thanks in advance!
Tracy

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When perscribed a Rx... you need to either start on the Rx ask about other Rx diets some do have decent ingrediants or you need to research and then bring and discuss your findings with the vet..

I would be wary of Evo for any Rx needing cat ...it is very rich and high in some things that may be part of the trouble..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitcatak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The Evo is new, I just changed over to it about a month ago. Bear had the issue with crystals last July. The vet told me that I could use the Royal Canin (not the prescription brand) so I figured if I found a food that was better quality then that it would be even better. I guess I need to go back to the Royal Canin (I think it is Special 32 or something). Bear doesn't need to get any heftier!

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely canned food only. There are different types of crystals and they have opposite causes so that is where Rx diets get tricky. Prescription food can help dissolve struvite crystals but over the long term it alters the urinary pH and can lead to the formation of calcium oxylate crystals, which cannot be dissolved and often require surgery. So a high quality, relatively neutral diet is necessary once the original struvite crystals have dissolved.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After Az's recent bout of crystals, the doc prescribed the s/d dry food and the... ok I'm drawing a blank on the canned food... but it was all prescription food.

kitcatak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My vet recommended those also, but Bear refused to eat them. Period. He is very, very picky. He was supposed to stay at the vet for 6 weeks, but he refused to eat, so they called me to come and get him and I had to watch him carefully at home instead.

sirpurr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is this prescription food really expensive? I'm going to pick some up for my cat tomorrow. Are there any "over the counter" forms that are sufficient?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sirpurr

Is this prescription food really expensive? I'm going to pick some up for my cat tomorrow. Are there any "over the counter" forms that are sufficient?
Yes
Yes but before using an otc discuss it with your vet

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oreo is on the Eukanuba prescription diet formula for struvite crystals - we give him dry and canned. He loves it, and it agrees with his sensitive tummy.

iluvmikat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by tuxedokitties

Oreo is on the Eukanuba prescription diet formula for struvite crystals - we give him dry and canned. He loves it, and it agrees with his sensitive tummy.
OMG...help!
My 7 year old neutered male has never been sick a day in his life.
Thursday I took him to the vet because I suspected urinary problems.
Yep

So he has a couple meds (antibiotic & dropper thing in a liquid for opening blood vessels).
We always fed dry food / he loved Eukanuba, but we switched to other a couple yrs. ago -
Anyway, he will not, NO WAY eat the canned food the vet gave us!!! Drinking very little water, too.
Last night I gave him milk, he has to get liquids, right??????
He does not act sick?
What can I get for him 'til Monday??

kitcatak

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty was the same way, which is why my vet suggested the Royal Canin Special (it is a dry food). You might try another wet food (mine like the meow mix packets). Any wet food is better then dry for these conditions, because of the high moisture content. My vet suggested putting a little salt on the dry food (encourages them to drink more) and wet food. I wouldn't suggest Eukanuba for anyone. The ingredients are not the best and you can get a much better quality food for the same money. I hope your kitty feels better soon!!!

Tracy

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I just double checked my info.

Vet said Science Diet S/D wet and dry to help with the crystals. Then switch to Science Diet C/D for maintenance.

iluvmikat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by kitcatak

My kitty was the same way, which is why my vet suggested the Royal Canin Special (it is a dry food). You might try another wet food (mine like the meow mix packets). Any wet food is better then dry for these conditions, because of the high moisture content. My vet suggested putting a little salt on the dry food (encourages them to drink more) and wet food. I wouldn't suggest Eukanuba for anyone. The ingredients are not the best and you can get a much better quality food for the same money. I hope your kitty feels better soon!!!

Tracy
Thank you so much for replying!!!! I just registered here because this board seems active! I am at wits end
He's sleeping right now, but if he doesn't start eating and /or drinking soon I'm going to go nuts!
I must go out for some food and I will also try your suggestions. I thought of the salt thing myself but I was afraid to try it....
Thanks again

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My foster has had a few bouts of cystitis - one vet said he has struvite crystals and needs prescription food all his life, then when he got cystitis on that food and was taken to a different vet, she said that 80-90% of cats have struvite crystals with no probs so it isn't that big an issue anymore, and told me to just feed him wet food, increase his water intake and reduce his stress. That was in December, we haven't had a recurrence since. Plus he has lost a kilo (he was a big boy) so I think that has helped too. I wouldn't have changed him without discussing it with the vet though.

iluvmikat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by booktigger

My foster has had a few bouts of cystitis - one vet said he has struvite crystals and needs prescription food all his life, then when he got cystitis on that food and was taken to a different vet, she said that 80-90% of cats have struvite crystals with no probs so it isn't that big an issue anymore, and told me to just feed him wet food, increase his water intake and reduce his stress. That was in December, we haven't had a recurrence since. Plus he has lost a kilo (he was a big boy) so I think that has helped too. I wouldn't have changed him without discussing it with the vet though.
Well that is good news...I hope I'm as lucky. He sure doesn't 'act' sick, but he will not eat this canned food or drink water, and he always loved water. Last night I gave him milk, against my better judgement, and some chicken with broth. He drank them up & ate some chicken.
I dunno what else to do. I'm going out soon to get the canned food someone else had suggetsed