URI treatment for pregnant foster cat

NotsoCrazyCatlady716

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am in the midst of a snowstorm so my local shelter is not open or staffed for vet care at the moment so I’m coming here for advice. My pregnant foster cat came to me quite ill with sneezing and sticky eyelids. She got worse and I was able to call in a round of amoxicillin which she is on day 6 1/2 of. I also take her into the steamy bathroom at least once a day which has helped. I am worried she is not eating like she should be. Any advice on foods safe for her to eat that might be irresistible? She does eat some wet food and dry. I see her drinking too but not a ton gone from her bowl. She was given flea treatment and anti parasitic when she was processed at the shelter. My queen is also FIV neg.

My personal cats despite hand washing, and keeping them completely separate managed to pick up her URI. Anything i can do for them so i do not have to torture them by bringing them to the vet?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Drinking fluids / water is always important when having flu or equivalent. So try to entice her to drink even more. Observe if you get her to drink much, give her also some extra salts.

Raw goats milk if you can get it, has some antibiotical properties. Normal, pasteurized goats milk is a good nourishment, but no extra properties.
So is raw honey. (ie unpasteurized honey from small producers).

Keep them warm, so they dont need to use energhy on keeping up warmth. The sick are always freezing, even if they have temp.
An IR warming lamp is useful here.

These are the home treatment I can give... If you have other ideas, feks suitable for humans, try them too.

For humans, I would recommend garlic and similiar, but these are poisonous for cats.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are your resident cats so clogged up that they may need antibiotics too? If so, your vet may prescribe for them without bringing them in since he knows the foster brought in the infection. You could call to inquire.

Most cats love something smelly like chunk light tuna packed in water, or even just the juice would give hydration if they will drink it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NotsoCrazyCatlady716

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Day 9 1/2 now of antibiotics and my foster mama finally has an appetite. I’ve made a few warm boxes for her to nest in. My resident cats are sick and getting the steam treatment but one seems to be getting better already and one worse. Both are still active and have good appetites though so I think I’ll see if it gets worse before trying to administer medication.

Attachments