Urgent- need kidney friendly food for cat that cannot eat ANY chicken

madkiwi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My little buddy Tira (Tiramisu) has been diagnosed with stage 3 kidney failure. We didn't have a clue, she seemed to be doing fine and we were only going in for a routine visit.

For 3 days after the visit she was having trouble keeping food down and didn't want to be held, was lethargic and not drinking. When she did eat she barfed it back up. She didn't want to be cuddled. She was hurting. She gets carsick so the 20 minute car ride meant everything in her stomach was in her carrier. Before the bloodwork was done they gave her all the immunizations which also knocked her on her ass. Only good news, no protein in her urine although SG was only 1.020.

When we adopted her she was 2 1/2 but was the size of a six month kitten. Took us a while to figure out she could not eat chicken, lots of tummy problems until we tested for everything. She can only eat foods with beef or fish, no chicken, chicken meal, liver or even fat. Undoubtedly her early development was compromised by poor nutrition as she had a hard time digesting cat food that she couldn't tolerate.

She is better now, acting normal etc and eating. But because all the prescription diet foods (ALL OF THEM) contain chicken I am stumped on how we can feed her with something that will minimize the strain on her kidneys.

My vet said "Well, you will have to feed her one of the prescription foods, we'll find one with minimal chicken." When I bought up making food for her at home she advised against it unless I consult with a veterinary nutritionist. Of course she did not help with actually putting me in touch with one, so it looks like I need a new vet.

She had been eating Fancy Feast Tender Beef Feast (1.95% phosphorus dry matter basis) and Taste of the Wild Angus Beef (until they changed the formula and now use chicken fat).

I found someone nearby who sells the N&D Quinoa Urinary food, duck is the protein and my cat seems to like it. 0.68% phosphorus so that's good but protein is high.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction on how to sort this out?

Mark