Update on Villy - Arthritis

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, you may remember I wrote on here a week or so ago about Villy, who was limping and holding her paw up.
Today she's had her x-ray, and they have found some arthritis in her elbow
(front right.) She is going to have some painkillers, but she can only have them for a short time as cats are v. sensitive to painkillers and long term use can damage her kidneys. She's also going to have a food suppliment glucosamine and chondroitin.
Is there anything else I can do for my poor baby? She's only 8, the vet said that this is young to get arthritis. Is it?
I have arthritis in my hip, so I know how painfull it can be. What can I do to help her???

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww Jessy Im so sorry ..... I dont have any experience with this at all .....Just wanted to I hope Vinny can feel better !!!

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jessy

Hey everyone, you may remember I wrote on here a week or so ago about Villy, who was limping and holding her paw up.
Today she's had her x-ray, and they have found some arthritis in her elbow
(front right.) She is going to have some painkillers, but she can only have them for a short time as cats are v. sensitive to painkillers and long term use can damage her kidneys. She's also going to have a food suppliment glucosamine and chondroitin.
Is there anything else I can do for my poor baby? She's only 8, the vet said that this is young to get arthritis. Is it?
I have arthritis in my hip, so I know how painfull it can be. What can I do to help her???
Maybe a heated pad they have some that are self heated from their body heat and some u plug in.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's so hard when our babies are feeling poorly. My Callie (10 yo) was diagnosed with arthritis in her hips this past spring, so I understand what you're going through. After searching the forums here, I decided to put her on Cosequin capsules and SynFlex twice a day. We have just now started seeing a return of almost full mobility prior to the diagnosis (running, jumping, playing, and etc). Also, we are now giving her only the Cosequin 2x a day since she's doing so well. Once the colder weather arrives (if it ever does!), I'll start her back on both Cosequin and the SynFlex.

Know that the treatment will take anywhere from a few weeks to several months to show the full effects, so don't get discouraged or anxious. You might also want to consider getting some stairs or ramps up to windowsills, couches, beds where your kitty likes to sleep. This will take away some of the jumping, thus taking away some of the pain. The heated pad or disk is a great idea as well. There are some designed specifically for pets that don't have the same dangers as using a regular (for humans) heating pad.

Stephanie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Stephanie, it's really great to hear from someone in the same situation. Villy seems to be doing ok, she is on Seraquin, which is 800mg of Glucosamine and Chondroitin plus a small quantity of other bits to make it tasty. The problem is, she doesn't have great teeth so she can't chew them! I've been mushing them up into her food and that seems ok. She's also on Metacam for a short time.
I've put a chair in fron of her favourite windowsill so that she doesn't have to jump too high to get up there.
The problem is when she goes out - she loves to get up high so she can look around and see what's going on!
I'll just have to see how she goes and do everything I can to make life easy for her.
Are there any fish oils that can help? I know that you have to be very careful how much you give to cats...
Jess

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Find a animal accupucturist ... Mine charges what many vets charge for a office call ... This has helped my cat and my dog with arthritic issues...

fish oil can help ... I am just starting hla with the cat