unusual feature on my longhaired lynxpoint

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
PXL_20231226_170010208 (1).jpg

PXL_20231228_073311961.jpg
\

if you look at the hairs on his back on the half nearer to the rump you will see some pearly guard hairs. they are pure shiney pearl white. under them is a mocha coffee color. in a downy soft fur. the guard hairs are thick and silky. I've never seen a distinction of hairs like this with two distinct colors and seriously different textures. are there any breeds known for this or is this a random type thing. lol. he's always had them but it's a lot easier to photograph as he gets older and the under color gets darker.

Emmypeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First off, your babies are BEAUTIFUL! I have a tuxie and some of her fur is black and some is a dark brownish color which showed more as she’s gotten older. I think it could be a random trait in their genetics. You could always DNA test him for more info on his breed 🥰

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
we actually did do a dna test. he actually has a very small amount of what they qualified as pure polycat (18%). and a lot of high shared numbers among maine coon, norwegian, siberian, ragdoll, american shorthaired, thai, burmese, persian. (in smaller numbers there is even savannah and bengal lol. (very small numbers of similarity like less than a percent on bengal and 4 on savannah) given the mix and his personality, i'm inclined to think there was a ragdoll in his more recent lineage somewhere and perhaps a maine coon. his sister has a much higher percentage of similarity to maine coon. hes got the flop thing down pat for sure. I wish they still had their slider feature. it used to be they'd do the we're sure of this with the lower numbers and then probability going out to speculative showing where they thought the actual closest breed was. that was interesting. they stopped doing it because people found it "confusing"

but I was wondering more about that specific trait. it's specifically odd and special. it just seemed like it might have some significance somewhere.

Last edited: