Unsure of breed?

trukookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I'm new to this site. I recently just adopted an awesome cat from the shelter. She is 6 months old, very friendly & sweet. She is laid back and relaxed not the least bit timid, she seemed comfortable the first day I brought her home. Anyway on her adoption papers is said she was an "exotic shorthair/mix". I'm not quite sure what other breed is in her. When I looked up exotic shorthair online it showed me that breed of cat but my cat looks nothing like that specific breed. I'm not sure what they meant by "exotic shorthair" & if she is part of another breed. She also has light blue eyes. Here are some pictures of her.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is beautiful, and if I had to take a wild guess, I would say she has at least a little Ragdoll in her genetics possibly recently.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trukookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is beautiful, and if I had to take a wild guess, I would say she has at least a little Ragdoll in her genetics possibly recently.
Yeah, her dark ears reminded me of the Rag doll and the Siamese.

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, what a looker!  She is gorgeous!  I would say part Ragdoll...the darker tones on the points around her eyes and ears is typical of that breed.  They also can come in bicolor like that where the whole body is not the point scheme but partially white.  Usually it's more symmetrical in the Ragdolls I've seen, but I think she's striking.

I agree that exotic shorthair is out of the question--if I am remembering correctly, exotic shorthairs are like shorthaired Persians with a brachycephalic front.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think they meant "Oriental".  Although Im not sure she is shorthair, I think she is sooner a medium hair, even if the tail aint very bushy.  (you must analyse yourself - if the tail IS somewhat bushy, she should be medium hair, if its thin alike on most cats, she is "just" a shorthair with somewhat longer fur.  That happens.)

Im sure she is a point, even if her eyes arent really blue.   A point bi-color.  She may have ragdoll ancestry, but  having a decently long muzzle, and being bi-color,  I myself would compare her with a Snowshoe - whom were constructed on the base of siameses old type.

Thereby not said she is a snowshoe - that breed wasnt widely spread.  But the pattern of bi-color point isnt THAT unusual.

Her having some siamese or oriental ancestry, that I can believe in.  Giving this somewhat prolonged muzzle, and her elegant, slender posture.

(siameses and orientals are quite near akin, but siameses are more common)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trukookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think they meant "Oriental".  Although Im not sure she is shorthair, I think she is sooner a medium hair, even if the tail aint very bushy.  (you must analyse yourself - if the tail IS somewhat bushy, she should be medium hair, if its thin alike on most cats, she is "just" a shorthair with somewhat longer fur.  That happens.)

Im sure she is a point, even if her eyes arent really blue.   A point bi-color.  She may have ragdoll ancestry, but  having a decently long muzzle, and being bi-color,  I myself would compare her with a Snowshoe - whom were constructed on the base of siameses old type.

Thereby not said she is a snowshoe - that breed wasnt widely spread.  But the pattern of bi-color point isnt THAT unusual.

Her having some siamese or oriental ancestry, that I can believe in.  Giving this somewhat prolonged muzzle, and her elegant, slender posture.

(siameses and orientals are quite near akin, but siameses are more common)
Yeah, I would maybe say she is more medium hair because her tail is more fluffy, comparing her to my past shorthaired cats. I don't remember their tails being that fluffy. It's hard to say what exactly her ancestry is a mix of. I was saying she was a part Siamese but I really wasn't sure, now I keep thinking she seems more of a mix of snowshoe. (Except like u said, her face and more slender body seems not exactly like the face of a snowshoe except for her light blue eyes.) oh well though, atleast I have somewhat of an idea what her ancestry she might have in her. I've never owned a different cat other then the standard American shorthair or longhair. So she is somewhat different and had me really interested in what breed/s she has in her. Whatever she is, she is an awesome adorable cat and one of the most smartest cats I've owned!