Unexpected Move Has Traumatized Cat

kmckell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My fiance was unexpectedly evicted from his home yesterday morning and has moved into a camper/trailer for the next 2 weeks until out house is finished. The cat has understandably gone into hiding, in a place where it isn't possible to get her out if we absolutely have to. We have provided her food and water and are trying to leave her be but it has been more than 24 hours and she hasn't budged at all. She hasn't eaten or had any water at all. The trailer is my parents and they are worried about her going to the bathroom back there since it's not possible to clean it out. She snuck under the couch, and through a small crawl space across the length of the trailer and is currently hiding under the stove. I am extremely worried that she won't come out at all and could die back there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. All his stuff is in the trailer with them so it should smell familiar but I am at a loss. We tried leaving her favorite treat for her in the hiding space and she didn't go near it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel the pain , 8 weeks ago I had to leave my home due to DV so it was pretty sudden - had Gracie in one bag and one bag of clothes. I thought she would be fine as she was with me - however she did not eat for 2 days - I used to find her lying in her empty litter box - on the 3rd or 4th night she ran around the apartment crying which made me upset! People on here told me to give it time - I moved all her things in the bedroom and finally she started eating and on 3rd day had a toilet . It took about 5 weeks for her to settle . I hope to have our forever home sorted in about a month so will be going through it again . Just leave her food and drink and litter box nearby x

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor girl - poor concerned family
Moving is bad enough on people who can understand what is going on. I would give her peace and quiet except for sounds of normal living. Let her hear you in the trailer enjoying things, having some laughs - basically, happy sounds to let her know the new environment is safe. She will need plenty of time to figure it out herself. You can also try rubbing then sprinkling some cat nip, chamomile and lemon balm as an aromatherapy. Try to keep any annoying scents such as strong cleaners out of the trailer. As a matter of fact, she may be responding to a lingering scent such as previous dog residents or raccoons on the roof trying to claimjump (although they have olfactory sensors, they have better detection at distinguishing between and identifying scents than dogs do).
For the next move, i recommend getting her a large crate or confining her to a small bathroom so she can establish her base camp. As she enlarges her territory, I would remove hidey holes and give her safety via height, such as with tall cat trees and shelves.
Please keep us posted! I know how worrisome it is!