Unable to Urinate: Male Cat, need advice!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tibsandnorman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What, specifically, are the UTI wet and dry foods you can recommend? I have a petsmart near me, maybe they will have something I can purchase?

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tibsandnorman

What, specifically, are the UTI wet and dry foods you can recommend? I have a petsmart near me, maybe they will have something I can purchase?
Well....I believe PetSmart carries Nutro. The *POUCHED* food was recalled but should be off the shelves. The dry gets excellent reviews as do the canned ( I like the can especially). I believe blueberries/cranberries, as well as methionine-- are part of the ingredient list (uti health!), and it's low mag.

PetSmart also carries Blue Spa....never tried it but hear good things.

Here is the Nutro site: http://www.nutroproducts.com/completecare.asp

Here is there recall info: http://www.nutroproducts.com/mfrecall.asp

http://www.nutroproducts.com/mffaq.asp (they do have a thorough site on the recall, which is a reassurance)

Here is a sample ingredient from a can:

http://www.nutroproducts.com/nccciacr.asp

I guess Nutro would be the line I would most look at at PetSmart.....we actually just bought some this weekend. It's 'grainier' than what many other people are looking at recently but that isn't necessarily a negative.

Again--this isn't my most knowledgable area in pets (though I am getting better
. Hopefully someone else will provide their spare change

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
btw--

I forget exactly what the vet has told you but it should be stated that if the vet prescribed a specific plan (the c/d or whatnot) you really should stick with that exclusively for a bit. IMO, you can rotate out after at least a full cycle of the prescribed foods (that is what I do). And definitely use the script WET foods.

In any case, talk to your vet about wanting to rotate out, about what food switch(es) you are interested in, and go from there.

Managing the urinary tract through dietary means isn't impossible, nor is it all that hard, but it IS a balance. YOu want to make sure you get your little guy at a solid base point first

whiskerynature

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I hope Mr. Tibbs is doing better. We went through a similar thing with Munchie (about 3 cycles of him getting better than straining, again, then better, then straining...etc). He ended going through 3 courses of different antibiotics + amitriptyline (1-2 days), being cath'ed, etc. And the struvite crystals didn't even show up until the 2nd or 3rd urinalysis.

Munchie is now on Rx food to dissolve crystals (Hills' s/d dry & wet); after that he'll be on a crystal prevention diet (Hills' c/d) -- though we're thinking of trying the Wysong UTI diet. Ask your vet to write an Rx; you can get it filled online if it's cheaper. We also went to a Whiskers Holistic in NYC, where they recommended a Chinese herbal mix -- pretty powerful smelling stuff!

P.S. Isn't it great that there are these TCS forums?! We searched here and read all the wonderful advice/experience that people posted...
and it was nice to know what to expect and to hear from kitties who've gone through the same thing.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My question... what over the counter wet food is good for cats with urine problems? My vet has ran out of wet food, I think they are a small company so they are unable to replenish their supplies in a regular manner. Any suggestions on wet food? Science diet? Any ideas?
What about checking with some of the other vets in the area for the recommended food? You may need your vet to send a FAX okaying it - to prevent the need for a vet visit at the econd vet's.