Ultrasounds

kat_and_luna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I posted early about my 8 month old kitty who got outside and now I believe she is pregnant. Well, I was thinking about getting an ultrasound done but money is a problem. On average how much do they cost? I would like to know for sure she is pregnant and if so the litter size. I am in Nothern CA, if you guys wouldn't mind giving me a estimated cost It would really help.
Thanks,
Kat and her kitty's
Luna...8 months
Tobi...2 years
Sophie...18 years

alliread

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I believe there about 200-400..
Try to see if you can get an xray, i think my vet only charged 25 for that

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kat_and_luna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow! I can't afford that right now
!!! I will call the vet and get a price range for both. Thank You

alliread

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your welcome, I couldnt either, I think the xrays are ok, if they are far enough along, Squiggles had hers taken after she delivered one kitten, just to make sure there was no more...Im not sure how far they have to be, but far enough to see the skeletal bones, i guess once they are developed enough..
Anyways, if you can try that first I would...
Worked for us, and it was only 25 dollars

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not sure if this is an option for you, but if you are uncertain as to whether or not your girl is pregnant and she is still early enough in her term, you can go ahead and have her spayed now. If money is an issue and you allow this pregnancy to continue, what will happen if there is a problem with the babies or with your girl as she is delivering? It would be less costly for you in the long run to go ahead and get her spayed now.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also a vet can tell at 3 weeks along. You could just wait 2 weeks and take her to the vet to be palpated. That would save the cost of the xray. The petsmart people have the clinics that do checkup cheap.I think I paid the 10.00 that was few months ago but I was living in Ca

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a foster who was ultrasounded and x-rayed while pregnant. They told me she would have 4 kittens, but she had 6! If money is a problem, like Gayef said, you can have her spayed now. That will avoid the costs of kitten shots, etc, and save some wear and tear on your cat.

If you do decide to let her go through with the (possible) pregnancy, just start putting money aside now, just in case. If no emergencies come up, you can use it to spay her when the kittens wean!

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took Chloe for a sonogram 3 weeks ago and the vet told me it would be about 2 weeks before she delievered and she will have at least 4 kittys. Well this is going on week 3, and still NO kittens!! Oh and it only cost me $20.00 for the sonogram

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The lady here in Utah works at petsmart said that If I had a pregnant cat or a possable pregnant cat then I can bring her down and they can feel for the kittens and if unsure the vet will look for free. I opt out because I have a vet 45 min at the closes to me Petsmart is over hr.

kat_and_luna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I am about 95% sure that she is pregnant I just wanted to make sure and get a head count. I was going to have her spayed but it would cost me $250 plus a $50 fee because she's pregnant. That was the cheapest I could find in my area. So I decided to go with the pregnancy. I have a friend who would front me the money if there was an emergency, but it would take a while to pay her back. She would be about 5 or 6 weeks pregnant if she was. Her nipples are pinkish, she eats more, getting wider, and very sweet. I love my baby, and I am going to spay her as soon as the kitten's are weaned(I am starting to save the money now) and will find the kitty's great home. Thanks for the info

Kat and her kitty's
Luna...8 Months
Tobi...3 years
Sophie...18 years

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kat_and_Luna

Thanks, I am about 95% sure that she is pregnant I just wanted to make sure and get a head count. I was going to have her spayed but it would cost me $250 plus a $50 fee because she's pregnant. That was the cheapest I could find in my area. So I decided to go with the pregnancy. I have a friend who would front me the money if there was an emergency, but it would take a while to pay her back. She would be about 5 or 6 weeks pregnant if she was. Her nipples are pinkish, she eats more, getting wider, and very sweet. I love my baby, and I am going to spay her as soon as the kitten's are weaned(I am starting to save the money now) and will find the kitty's great home. Thanks for the info

Kat and her kitty's
Luna...8 Months
Tobi...3 years
Sophie...18 years
I think you are doing ok. Maybe you can wait 2 weeks and see what happens. Maybe she will give birth. That saves on the ultrasound bill. I will say do not freak but a c-section if needed in CA is around 800 on the average.

kat_and_luna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a rescue dog who needed a c-section about three years ago, it cost about $450. I would do anything for my baby, and would sell everything I have for her if she needed me. To be honest I don't believe in a "kitty abortions". I didn't mean for her to get pregnant, I just didn't have money to get her spayed. I have fostered pregnant dogs before but never cats, is it too much different??? Plus the animal was never my personal pet, I have always had my animals spayed/neutered before this.I have most supplies dog expens/crates, towels, blankets, scales, heat lamps, space heaters, heating pads, bottles, etc. Thank you for all the advice

ilovemycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How soon can you get mama spayed after babies Missy got caught 6 days befor her spay appt.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ILOVEMYCAT

How soon can you get mama spayed after babies Missy got caught 6 days befor her spay appt.
U mean how soon after copulation or after birth. If after copulation I hear it is 3 weeks and some it is 6 weeks so am lost there. After Birth it is after weaning so I would say 8-12 weeks depending on when you wean.

basklcj13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
$250 is a lot for a spay, they go for around 60-100 bucks around here. Are there any low cost clinics around your area?

kat_and_luna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yeah, that's what I thought. There is a lost cost one about two hours away that I plan to take her to after the kitten's are born. I was also quoted $320 and $500 at one vet. They must be crazy, they should keep it cheap so people spay and neuter their pets. I paid $260 for my last kitty to be spayed. These all include meds, bloodwork, tests, etc but no vet will do the surgery without them, and I wouldn't put her threw that without it too. This is her first and LAST litter, I promise

Kat and her kitty...
Luna...just turned 9 months
Tobi...3 years
Sophie...18 years

poohandwendy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They must be crazy, they should keep it cheap so people spay and neuter their pets.
I felt that way once too. Seemed like the most logical solution, that vets making it cheaper would entice more people to spay/neuter. Until I read this thought provoking article written by a vet regarding that very thought.

For anyone interested: http://www.thepetcenter.com/sur/costspay.html

He makes some really good points regarding people thinking that vets (who are in business to make a profit) should be more concerned with the responsibilty of 'animal welfare' (by offering low cost services) than the people are personally and financially responsible for the animals they choose to keep.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kat_and_Luna

yeah, that's what I thought. There is a lost cost one about two hours away that I plan to take her to after the kitten's are born. I was also quoted $320 and $500 at one vet. They must be crazy, they should keep it cheap so people spay and neuter their pets. I paid $260 for my last kitty to be spayed. These all include meds, bloodwork, tests, etc but no vet will do the surgery without them, and I wouldn't put her threw that without it too. This is her first and LAST litter, I promise

Kat and her kitty...
Luna...just turned 9 months
Tobi...3 years
Sophie...18 years
I just moved from CA and yes the vet's there to me are more then here. Skittles appt here was 30.00 to see the Vet I paid 65 per visit in California