Trying To Figure Out What Breed My Cat Is

Regina3134

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feel like this could be completely silly because my cat looks so Siamese. But he has the long hair and the think Himalayan neck with super soft fur. He's a little cross eyed. Has fur coming out of the bottom of his feet. But he has that long oriental looking nose. Rarely ever meaws tho and if he does it's super quiet. Also he's huge!!! Only 10 months and a giant. Just trying to figure out what he's closest to if any or just a big mix breed. Thankyou!

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
He does have the colorpoint pattern, which is what we see in both Siamese and Himalayan cats. For him to be in the colorpoint pattern, he would need to have a colorpointed breed in his ancestry. His closest lookalike wouldn’t be Siamese, because he’s longhaired, or a Himalayan because he doesn’t have that flat (what we call brachycephalic) face. I think he could be best compared to a Balinese, which is a longhaired Siamese. His head is approaching the wedge shape, and he has a long, slender body, which is why I think Balinese would be the most likely breed ancestor. Technically, though, he would be considered a Domestic Longhair, since he doesn’t have papers. He is a very handsome kitty!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with the analysis above. But there is one BUT. His size. And also hairs longer than in a typical balinese, whom at least in theory, are mediumhaired (belongs in the "semilonghair" group in the FIFE, for example)

Thus, my proposal is we do upgrade him one step, and call him for a Neva Masquerade - look alike.

These, whom are a sibling breed to the Sibirians, may be quite large, almost in the Maine Coon class...

The russian purists, didnt like the idea of pointed Sibirian. Thus, willy nilly the breed of Neva Masquerade was created.
Abroads outside of Russia, the gene pool isnt that great, and the breeders less fussy, and thus - outside Russia are pointed Sibirians allowed and loved. :)

So you can call him a pointed Sibirian look alike if you so prefer. :)

ps. Do you know the background of your handsome boy?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with the analysis above. But there is one BUT. His size. And also hairs longer than in a typical balinese, whom at least in theory, are mediumhaired (belongs in the "semilonghair" group in the FIFE, for example)

Thus, my proposal is we do upgrade him one step, and call him for a Neva Masquerade - look alike.

These, whom are a sibling breed to the Sibirians, may be quite large, almost in the Maine Coon class...

The russian purists, didnt like the idea of pointed Sibirian. Thus, willy nilly the breed of Neva Masquerade was created.
Abroads outside of Russia, the gene pool isnt that great, and the breeders less fussy, and thus - outside Russia are pointed Sibirians allowed and loved. :)

So you can call him a pointed Sibirian look alike if you so prefer. :)

ps. Do you know the background of your handsome boy?
That makes sense. Brilliant observation!