Trying to figure out a schedule to feed my 3 cats

jan1256

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
Just wondering if you guys can give me some ideas on how to feed my 3 cats. I live alone and work full time. Currently, my sister has had the cats while I get used to my new job. I will be getting them back soon. All 3 cats are on a diet. I will be working MWThF 8:30 to 5pm. And Tuesday 10AM to 7PM.

Right now the cats currently get morning, noon, snack and dinner with my sister but I'm not sure how I can do this since I will be at work. Any help on figuring out the schedule is appreciated.

Also a feeder is out of the question because 2 of the cats are very bossy when it comes to food and steal one of the cats food if not supervised.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always just fed mine before work and then again when I got home. I always left a bowl of good, all meat weight reduction dry out too, and still do.

Marley&Luna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I’m away from home and DH takes over, the girls get a big breakfast before he leaves, then dinner when he gets home and a snack at bedtime. Even with a growing kitten this seems to work well.

sanfran_kitty_lady_21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So first, you want to decide whether you want free feed or feed on a schedule. Free feeding means that you leave the food out all day (some people will also leave out food at night) and your cat will essentially be nibbling on it all day. People have mixed feelings on free feeding - on one hand it's convenient and most cats don't over eat. But cats will over eat if they are bored and then you get chunky cats.

If you're looking at scheduled feedings - it's pretty normal to feed cats twice a day, morning and evening. Honestly, even though I give my cat 'lunch' she barely eats it and focus on breakfast and dinner. When I travel I leave out food the entire day and someone will put fresh food out once a day. There are also A TON of cat feeders on the market so if you want to be feeding more often but won't be home, a machine will do it for you.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello,
Just wondering if you guys can give me some ideas on how to feed my 3 cats. I live alone and work full time. Currently, my sister has had the cats while I get used to my new job. I will be getting them back soon. All 3 cats are on a diet. I will be working MWThF 8:30 to 5pm. And Tuesday 10AM to 7PM.

Right now the cats currently get morning, noon, snack and dinner with my sister but I'm not sure how I can do this since I will be at work. Any help on figuring out the schedule is appreciated.

Also a feeder is out of the question because 2 of the cats are very bossy when it comes to food and steal one of the cats food if not supervised.
If all three are on a diet, does that mean they have a medical condition or something else? Do you normally feed them wet or dry? One of my cats throws up from eating too much or too fast so no way could I leave food out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jan1256

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If all three are on a diet, does that mean they have a medical condition or something else? Do you normally feed them wet or dry? One of my cats throws up from eating too much or too fast so no way could I leave food out.
Well all three are overweight so I can't leave food out and one of the boys has a prescription diet because he gets crystals in his urine. I do a combination of wet and dry food.

Midget's Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Budget for microchip feeders. They are pricey but really make feeding specialty diets easy. The feeder is closed until activated by a tag on the cat's collar when the cat goes to eat. We got one for Midget to keep Louie from gobbling up her food. In the meantime, can you keep them in separate rooms while you are working?

linkworshiper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I now have five cats and a new apartment, which has changed the routine up a lot, but when I had only three and they were all on different diets, I fed wet in the morning before work, wet in the afternoon when I got home, and then a little dry to hold them through the night. I put each cat in a different room so they wouldn't go after one another's food and my slow eater could eat without my chunko cat breathing down his neck.

catmando2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are the cats on a diet in general and the same diet? Or does each cat have a special diet?

I have 2 cats and when I had to sneak in a pill in a Pill Pocket to one of them every 12 hrs, what I did was feed him separately from the other cat. What I did was notice their patterns. The one needed the pill would go to my walk in closet in the morning. So, I'd feed him there and watch that he at his food along with pill pocket. During the evenings, the other cat liked to go to the walk in closet (go figure) so fed the one needed the medication outside of the closet and left the one who went there until he was done to not mix things up.