Trouble on TCS!

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

My virus scanner went into overdrive after I clicked on the link "Why do people do these things" on IMO this evening, and then clicked the link on the site for "similar stories". My software (GData) actually capped my Internet connection, and shut down my computer.
Tricia, that makes me feel bad!

tak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another little tip for people who may have younger children using the computer (or if you don't want your parents to mess anything up, haha): Give them a separate account with limited privileges. There are some options to disable downloads and such so that they won't end up downloading a virus for example.

-Thomas

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TAK

The only way for this to be possible is if you clicked on a link which took you to an external site. The virus did not originate from the TCS server. If your father has any questions or concerns, he can contact me by email or IM service (information in my profile).

-Thomas

You know what, when you mention that, I remember... I was trying to click on something, and one of my cats bumped my arm, and I clicked on an ad... that was a couple of days before the virus showed up... I bet that was it... there must be a virus in one of the ads... like I said, I didn't mean to click it, it was my cat's fault!
Here kitty kitty kitty!
Anyway, I guess I will just have to watch out for when my kittys are jumping up on the computer desk!!!! Thank-you for your help Thomas, I very much appreciate it! I'll be careful what I click on from now on!

Thanks for all your help everyone, and watch out for those ads!!!

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Cassie, please do not throw accusations like that. The advertisers are our livelihood and advising people not to click the ads directly affects us.

I can personally vouch for every ad shown here. We work with nothing but the most reputable advertising networks on TCS. Ask on any webmasters forum about our networks - Google Adsense, Tribal Fusion, Fastclick, Burst Media and Casale Media. Doesn't get any better than those. They do not deliever any malware - guaranteed. We also have ads of directly ordered campaigns. Those are set up by me personally and have no malware in them either. You did not get a virus from any ad on TCS. And please don't say that you did, unless you have some sort of proof.

Anyone that wants to avoid pop-ups here, as well as any other ad, we have a paid membership option that will let you turn off the ads if you so wish. Otherwise, please support our advertisers - because they support us and make this place possible.

BTW, anyone with a firewall of AV type of software that's set to detect cookies being placed, will see alerts when visiting TCS. We use cookies and so do the advertising networks. They are NOT viruses and do not hurt your computer in any way. And they will be set, regardless of whether or not you click an ad.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you Anne, for setting the record straight!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, I didn't mean it literal... I was joking about the last thing I said. I don't know where I got the virus, but, the anti-virus software said it came from here somehow... I don't know... I'm sorry if I offended you in anyway, I assure you it was not intentional.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittenKrazy

Tricia, that makes me feel bad!
It wasn't your fault, Cindy! I probably shouldn't have clicked the other link. My virus software has a tendency to overreact at times, too.

yoviher

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay.... I haven't read completely the thread, but here's my concern: If anyone has received any suspicion of sorts, for any reason, ANY reason or speculation that any virus might have come from my website (linked to in my signature) send me a PM or e-mail immediately and tell me exactly what has happened and I will get to the bottom of it all and fix it. I have personally made sure of everything in the content, and every link that website has, and as of now, it hasn't got anything, but one can never be too cautious.

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I update mine every week, but I know people who do it daily.
My dad's trying to make me do it weekly but I forget. I've gotten really lazy when it comes to taking care of my computer... I finally updated EVERYTHING (Dell, Windows, Virus) and defragged my hard drive... twice. That only took forever. But I feel better now.

babygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never had a virus on this site but my AV goes nuts everytime I log on....now I know why.
Originally Posted by Anne

BTW, anyone with a firewall of AV type of software that's set to detect cookies being placed, will see alerts when visiting TCS. We use cookies and so do the advertising networks. They are NOT viruses and do not hurt your computer in any way. And they will be set, regardless of whether or not you click an ad.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have antivirus, but I never use it and I don't have any fire walls. I only got a virus once, that was last year when the Sasser and Blaster worm was crawling through the internet. I fixed that problem, that was the only time I used my antivirus to locate the worm and then I got rid of it. I did not get it from TCS. I just know what NOT to click on or what NOT to download.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
No firewall? Do you use Windows, with its "built-in" firewall? There are several freeware firewalls offered that you could use, including Zonealert (sp?) and Outpost. I've had some problems with viruses just from clicking on links, and won't go online without a firewall and updated AV software.

talon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Zonealarm is a great free one. Wouldn't internet without it!

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I never used to use a firewall, but I have since updated windowsXP with service pack2 and that has the built in firewall. I was going to disable it, but after last summer's worm, I decided to keep it running.

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Used to have Norton but it conflicted with AOL 9.0 and THEN they gave us Mc Affee, nad THEN they gave it to us free.

It scans each day at 8 am and updates at 10 pm each day and sometimes in between. It can be a bore as it slows things down but so far it has caught a couple of viruses and Norton did not catch any!

starlie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you're so concerned about pop-up ads, you can use Avant Browser (similar to Internet Explorer). It allows you to block ALL ads, pop-ups and set filters for younger children.