Trimming nails

raineycry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just have to say, I love Lucas' picture! What a face! He has similar coloring to my Poncho. (I am working on trying to add pics to my sig. so you guys can see my 2 babies.)

Plus I wanted to say THANKS for the catster.com link to his profile, since I checked it out (Poncho & Minou want to be his friends, please say yes!)...and now my kitties have their own profiles, too! THANKS!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by Napolean XVI

Hey everyone,

I just had a question about trimming a cat's nails. First, do you think its ok to do it and if so how would one go about it? I think declawing is a horrible act and am afraid about trimming.
Any advice would be appreciated!
So have you taking the plunge yet and tried it? Let us know how it went.

misscharlotte

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also have a pair of clippers/scissors that very closely resemble (if not the same) as Beckiboo's link. I have tried the guilotine type, but found those didn't work nearly as well as the scissors type.

ccsr79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by raineycry

I just have to say, I love Lucas' picture! What a face! He has similar coloring to my Poncho. (I am working on trying to add pics to my sig. so you guys can see my 2 babies.)

Plus I wanted to say THANKS for the catster.com link to his profile, since I checked it out (Poncho & Minou want to be his friends, please say yes!)...and now my kitties have their own profiles, too! THANKS!
Thanks! I was trying to take a picture of him, but he wasn't being cooperative and decided to yawn right when I pressed the shutter. Turned out it's now my favorite picture of him!

I just said "yes" to your friend request. I found out about the catster from someone who had a link here too, isn't it great? At this point I think all my friends and family have received a link to Lucas profile!

misskittysdaddy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Glad others use human clippers just fine as well. The "crushing" thing was just what I read on some website...prolly one that wanted to sell me a Kitty one, LOL.

Thanks guys!

MKD

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I've also found that if you gently "play" or "stroke" kitty's paws when they are fully relaxed with you that it helps when it comes to nail clipping.
Cool. I've been doing that to prepare for trimming Chasey's claws. I still need to get a claw trimmer though. I'll be getting one this week.

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i use the kitty nail scissors on chloe. i do it right when she starts to sleep deeply. i always push her claws out to check them so she really doesnt pay attn to when im actually cutting them (unless i disturb her nap)
i trim them 1x a week since they grow so fast. if i dont get them all at once, oh well

juniper

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I clip my guys' nails every two weeks, and have since they came into my home, so they are all used to it now - I will just pick them up in a cradled position, like a baby, and clip away, and they're fine with it. If your kitty isn't, then doing it while sleeping like everyone has suggested is a great idea.
Oh, and I use human clippers - had no idea I wasn't supposed to! - and it doesn't seem to crush the nails at all.

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our boys are finally getting used to it (2.5 months here) as they're clipped about every week to ten days with kitty clippers. I found that using the human clippers once they got past a certain size seemed to invite split claws.

It definitely seems to be easier to clip with them cradled on their backs with their feet in the air; they're a bit less "squirmy" that way.