Trick or Treaters

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our housing development isn't having Trick or Treating this year but it hasn't stopped people from doing it. Normally we rarely get any but for some reason we are this year. I am not answering the door because we have no candy.

Is Trick or Treating going on in your area??

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our town said it was not a village event so they were neither encouraging nor discouraging.

I set up a socially distanced table.

1031201617.jpg

I ended up with 48 of the 80 bags I made gone, so we had a fair number come by.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I live on a country road; so no one comes here. I did turn off our front lights just in case.

From what I’ve seen on Facebook; a lot of places are having it. I saw quite a few really creative ways to give out candy and treats while staying far apart. People have gone out of their way to make it happen and that’s a beautiful thing!

I’d say this is the happiest I’ve seen my Facebook wall all year!!

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I normally have treats for the kid's. I look forward to halloween but didn't this year. My front door opens staight onto the street I just didn't feel it would be safe this year. And if I'd of left treats on the doorstep they'd of been taken by the older kids along with whatever they were put in. My daughter left treats at her garden gate but nobody came she and the grandkids dressed up so they could wave from the window and wish them a happy Halloween it's sad but covid ruined Halloween.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It was discouraged this year. We live in a cul-de-sac that's usually overlooked. Three little kids from the block were supposed to ring the bell, put their bags on the stoop, and stand back, but they ended up staying in because one had the sniffles.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We haven't had kids come by in years. There aren't a lot of younger kids in the neighborhood anymore. One of our neighbors does have a 2-year old; he told Rick their church is having a big Halloween party and they were taking their daughter to that for the evening. That's all we know about. We kept the porch light off last night.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
We had far more houses giving out candy than we had trick or treaters. I had maybe 20-25 kids where I will usually have 125+, but it was terribly, terribly windy and cold and that may have limited kids and parents wanting to be out.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had trick-or-treat here, but things were very different than usual. Candy could not be directly handed out, and the village set up sanitation stations. Groups had to be at least 6 ft apart. We do not pass out candy because my PTSD cannot take people coming to my house.

Hobbit got dressed up for pictures and went to the town square with my neighbor for the costume parade and candy given by the police station and a few local businesses. It was all pretty strict; otherwise, I would not have let him go. We are such a small village that we really do not get big crowds. This year was definitely smaller, though.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In a normal year, we would have something on the order of 200 kids show up for the 3 hours when it is allowed. This year, however, there wasn't even half that, and we didn't hand out anything in any case. It has gotten too expensive for us.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Our town also discouraged trick-or-treating but didn't ban it. I knew some of the neighbors on our block would be taking their kids out with the proper precautions in place. Since we had perfect weather I left candy out on the front of the driveway and surprisingly quite a few kids in costume came by with their parents and dogs. It was definitely different than previous years for Halloween but I was glad to see the trick-or-treaters that did come out enjoying themselves. 🎃

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Everything is different now. The holidays will be different as well. No big Thanksgiving dinner for us this year, we will do the Skype call, Thanksgiving is only a month away in the U.S. so there will be no change for the better.

miss eveliina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Halloween still went on here.
We normally don’t get many living out in the country, but last night we had six.
We know the family and they were in the area, so they popped by for some treats. They called before hand before coming to make sure it was ok.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We normally don't get many kids...less than 20. And considering my front door is jammed (still opens but it takes some muscle), and our side door porch light decided to die (and no, not just the bulb :tongue:), I didn't hand out candy this year even though trick or treating was happening in my town. Looking outside my window throughout the night, there wasn't much activity, and it seems like all the neighbors around me didn't participate either...lots of dark houses.
I feel so bad for the kids this year....

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was so much positive feedback about socially distanced trick or treating in my town, it sounds like weather permitting, people want it to continue this way if and when the pandemic ends! It was pointed out that the candy chutes and tables at the ends of driveways were much more accessible than stairs to people's doors for kids with mobility issues, and being able to wave and not ring a stranger's doorbell was good for shier kids. I mostly stayed inside, but could see out my front window and enjoyed waving to the people that came by.

So some positive changes did come about!