Treat the cat not the numbers?

skylerlark

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recently took my CKD cat for a phosphorous test on the advice of a local animal 'hospital'. Turns out it's normal along with everything else except his Creatin is a little on the high side also.

However, his BUN is very high (130). I have been advised to put him on a course of IV to 'flush' the waste out. I have upped his subQ to 100 twice per day. He's eating and generally looking very well. Every vet (and I've had to go to a LOT of them) has said he looks remarkable considering his CKD.

On the advice of, an imo decent vet (rare here), I have booked him in to the only 24hr vet closest to my home for the IV treatment. However, although this vet is very knowledgeable, I've had run ins with him in the past - force feeding renal food he hates, staff seemingly careless (although that may have changed). An added advantage to this vet is that they send you updates with videos of the cat daily. The last (and only) time cat was there was because he'd stopped eating. Now cat is eating a senior kibble and a 'kidney care' smoothie every day. He is also very affectionate and active.

Should I simply carry on with the twice daily subQs, or take a chance with this IV therapy? I don't want to stress cat out unnecessarily. Any advice very welcome.

Zeep

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! New to the site but saw your post and thought I share a bit of nutrition. If your kitty is suffering from CKD increasing their Glycine intake will help them a lot. Glycine increases Glomerular filtration rate by increasing blood flow to the kidneys flushing out built up toxins, reducing free radical damage and lowering the severity of CKD by one stage. Long term use helps maintain that kidney function. Sources of glycine for cats I recommend are beef tendon or chicken knuckles, any joint cartilage really. You can buy it in Asian groceries stores, they use it in various dishes. Pressure cooking it keeps it soft and easy to chew. Small piece once a day is all thats needed. If you cant find it they sell it as a supplement powder. Hope your kitty improves.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When BUN is high, but creatinine is only slightly elevated, often that has to do with a cat's diet being high in protein, and probably would be even higher if your cat ate shortly before the blood work was done. Stress can increase BUN too. And, yes, BUN can also be high due to dehydration, but I am surprised that is happening given the amount of sub-Q fluids you are giving. 100ml twice a day is, IMO, an extremely large amount. What is the creatinine level?

Did the vet do a urinalysis? Sometimes a UTI can attribute to a higher BUN level.

I can only say that IV fluids are administered at a slower rate than sub-Q fluids because of how they are being given.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skylerlark

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When BUN is high, but creatinine is only slightly elevated, often that has to do with a cat's diet being high in protein, and probably would be even higher if your cat ate shortly before the blood work was done. Stress can increase BUN too. And, yes, BUN can also be high due to dehydration, but I am surprised that is happening given the amount of sub-Q fluids you are giving. 100ml twice a day is, IMO, an extremely large amount. What is the creatinine level?

Did the vet do a urinalysis? Sometimes a UTI can attribute to a higher BUN level.

I can only say that IV fluids are administered at a slower rate than sub-Q fluids because of how they are being given.
One vet suggested a diet of tuna in spring water only. That's a lot of protein and of course, phosphorous, which is why another vet at the same hospital (ye gods) suggested a phosphorous test.

He's now on a 'senior' kibble, which he enjoys, and three 10ccs of a brand of 'smoothie' containing egg white, which I had first to assist feed but now he eats on his own.

I had another message from the vet clinic (very keen to get me in there aren't they?) I'd booked him into for Monday, but I don't like his purely academic attitude with no thought for 'quality of life' (he has a reputation for bullying) and his razoring of the cat for every procedure notwithstanding the lackadaisical 'care' of the staff. I'd once paid a surprise visit to find cat covered in feces, they'd given him psyllium for constipation and hadn't bothered to clean him up.

My cat is fat and happy. He's just gone out for his morning forage after first 100 cc infusion (the advice for twice daily was given in able for him to urinate any waste out and he certainly pees a lot).

My dear pharmacist friend told me these IV treatments must be ongoing, 'you take care of him better'. I'm inclined to agree so will keep doing what I have been doing. No more cages for cat and let nature take it's course. Thanks for your response.

Last edited: