Trash Can Bandit

jiffer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Oliver loves the trash can. I have tried everything and I just cant keep him out of the trash can. I tried a locking lid and he eventually broke the lock. He also like to shred the trash bag that hangs out of rim of the trash can. I don't know what to do. I have been battling this issue with him since he was 6 months old. (he is now 2 years old)

He is a healthy weight and gets fed twice a day. Any suggestions? I am also open to suggestions for a trash can that locks and the bag doesn't hang on the outside rim of the can. I found a simple human trash can that fits that criteria but I cant bring myself to spend $125-150 on a trash can.

I would appreciate any advice.
Thanks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jiffer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I will check it out. In the mean time hopefully someone will have some suggestions.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My former cat, "KC," was a dumpster diver. I cured him of it with a two-pronged approach.

First, I made sure to take out the garbage daily so that there wasn’t anything in the can worth going after.

Second, I got a swing top garbage can and balanced a plastic Solo cup half-full of water on top.
Any time he tried to get into the can the cup of water would fall on him.

As I remember, it only took two times of getting his head wet to completely discourage KC's dumpster diving habit.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep looking at trash cans. I have a Rubbermaid 13 gallon wastebasket with a locking lid and a mechanism inside to hold the bag tight so nothing is on the outside for the cat to play with or grab. Here it is at Menards and under $20. I have had this wastebasket for a few years and just love it because the trash bags never slip down.

https://www.menards.com/main/storag...407-c-7124.htm?tid=5009773209430124781&ipos=6

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you put the trash can inside a lower cabinet or behind a pantry / closet door? You may need a new trash can to fit into the space., such as a roll out in-cabinet trash can. I have a small Simple Human trash can that hooks onto the inside of a lower cabinet.

Look into a trash can that has a removable inner can or other method to hold bags securely so the bag doesn't hang on the outside of the trash can. The Simple Human trash cans have this feature but the brand is also pricey.

You can add a child safety lock to the trash can to keep the cat from getting the lid open.

These might be helpful:

The Ultimate Dog Proof Kitchen Trash Can Guide | Locking Pet Proof Cans
Best Dog Proof Trash Cans In 2018 - Ultimate Home Life

Do you know your cat is doing this out of boredom or hunger or some other reason?