Trapping Feral Cat with Facial Wound

catmoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is not my first rescue, but it is my first time working with a feral. I've been feeding this cat in my backyard since October, 2023. Late last month he disappeared for about a week and returned with a pretty nasty looking facial wound right above his neck.

I contacted a local cat rescue, who referred me to my city's animal control. I called them and it was decided that I would trap him, bring him in, and they would neuter him and provide wound care. After that, they would return him to me and I would foster him in a large dog crate for a 4 month rabies quarantine.

It's been almost a month and trap training has been moving very slowly. He is extremely suspicious of the box trap and lately he tends to disappear for days at a time. This week, I was finally able to get him to fully enter the unset trap to eat, so we are making progress.

The problem is that it's been 4 days since I've seen him, and the last time he came around the wound was looking worse. He is long-haired and the fur had been matted around the injury. Now the matted fur hangs off his face and the his wound is fully exposed. It's not bleeding, but it looks very raw.

Is there anything I can do to try and attract this cat into my yard so I can get him trapped quickly? Right now I am leaving food out daily and removing it at night. I'm concerned he will develop an infection and that soon it will be too late. Thank you in advance for any guidance. I am heading to work but I will reply to comments as soon as I can.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
TNR Scenarios: Hard to Trap Cats
Neighborhood Cats | How to TNR | Hard-to-Catch Cats
A Little Bait Goes a Long Way
Baits for Cats

Kentucky Fried Chicken has always been my best bait, or any other greasy, breaded fried chicken including frozen that you bake first.
The problem is that it's been 4 days since I've seen him, and the last time he came around the wound was looking worse
The information above may help, although you may be familiar with everything there if you have been working with ferals.

The issue with injured ferals is that they do start to hide or change their pattern of even coming for food. I have had a couple go missing for up to 2 weeks only to come back, but often in worse shape as you are seeing.

Do you think that he comes at night? If so, you could try to trap at night if you could monitor the trap and if it will not create a huge problem with wildlife. Are you in an area where a neighbor might have seen him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catmoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
TNR Scenarios: Hard to Trap Cats
Neighborhood Cats | How to TNR | Hard-to-Catch Cats
A Little Bait Goes a Long Way
Baits for Cats

Kentucky Fried Chicken has always been my best bait, or any other greasy, breaded fried chicken including frozen that you bake first.

The information above may help, although you may be familiar with everything there if you have been working with ferals.

The issue with injured ferals is that they do start to hide or change their pattern of even coming for food. I have had a couple go missing for up to 2 weeks only to come back, but often in worse shape as you are seeing.

Do you think that he comes at night? If so, you could try to trap at night if you could monitor the trap and if it will not create a huge problem with wildlife. Are you in an area where a neighbor might have seen him?
Thank you for your insight and for posting those resources. This is my first time trapping a feral and I've spent a lot of time reading about it on the Neighborhood Cats and Alley Cat Allies websites.

So far I've tried bait trails, catnip, and a few different types of cat food. I've even tried rubbing a hand towel on an unaltered female (friend's cat due to be spayed) and leaving it in the back of the trap. I'll try the fried chicken.

What finally got him in the trap was warming up the food and leaving a small amount in the center and the rest in the back. I'm sure at one point I'll get him. I'm just worried that too much time will pass and any possible infection will become untreatable.

He doesn't usually come at night. I suspect he has other caretakers but I've posted him on local forums and asked around the community but no one seems to recognize him.

catmoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This morning I set the trap, checked the security camera, and saw that he finally stopped by. I missed him by 20 minutes. I guess I'll have to start getting up earlier.

VAMama

Cosette's maid
Adult Cat
Purraise
He may be scared that his attacker is still out there. He's trying to lay low until he heals. Fried chicken works because the smell travels far and draws a cat in. You want to use food that's delicious enough to be worth the risk. Warm it up to get the smell in the air.

catmoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Almost got him. Unfortunately I forgot to undo the safety latch after setting the trap so all I did was scare him. I may need to start trap training all over again. Very upset with myself.

Has anyone had luck with the Countyline animal trap? This is the brand I've been using but I have some safety concerns. He's a big cat and I wouldn't want him getting caught in the door as it's closing, especially since he's already injured. The Neighborhood Cats gravity trap seems safer and quieter.

catmoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I bought the Neighborhood cats recommended Model GT606 last year (waited almost 2 months for delivery) and it works great. I also bought the trap divider for this model.

I wish I had bought the GT608 as it's longer, wider and taller for big cats.

These are heavy traps and a bit expensive but work great.
Thank you! I purchased the GT606 shortly after posting my last reply. It's due to arrive within a week or two. Wish I had gone with the 608, but oh well.

I'm going to keep feeding him in the Countyline while I wait for it to arrive. If it seems like it won't be a safety issue, I'll set it. I'm trying to trap him asap and was very worried when he stopped coming around for a few days.