Torn About What To Do With My New Kitten

kiki123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello All,

This is my first time posting. I recently adopted a sweet 15 week old kitten. This little man is so affectionate, which is why I fell in love with him. However, having him around is causing me much stress :(

This precious baby is very clingy which is to be expected since I'm his "mama" now. He wants to be with me or ON me constantly and cries the most pitiful cries if he is not. When I walk into the room with him he instantly puurrrs and tries to climb up me. In fact, he climbs up me all the time. I can't really do anything without this sweet baby climbing my leg or onto my lap to cuddle. If I pick him up and put him back on the floor, he just climbs up again instantly. It's a great trait, and I'm very lucky to have such a sweet baby. He doesn't bite or scratch me, he just wants to be with me and lick me.

Here's the problem. I live alone and work full time, sometimes needing to be gone for 9-10 hrs a day. I've read about a TONS of different books and forums about how it is best to adopt 2 kittens together, but my lease only allows for one cat, so I can't get him a buddy. When I leave he wails the most pitiful cries ever and it literally breaks my heart. I am SO worried about him being depressed and lonely when I'm gone and feel incredibly guilty about it. I have a feliway plug in his safe room, and bought him SO many toys - different types, multiple scratching posts. stuffed animals that have heating elements which can be inserted in them. The problem is, he doesn't care at all about any of his toys. He just wants ME. I can get him to play with a laser and "da bird", but even then, he will only do it for about 5 minutes and then starts to climb up me and want to be held.

I love this baby, but feel incredibly guilty being away from him so much. Unfortunately I can't change my work schedule. I'm starting to think I was so selfish in adopting a kitten when I knew I would be away for such a long time. I was actually planning on an adult, but this sweet baby climbed into my arms at the adoption agency. The agency has given me 2 weeks to decide if he is a fit and will gladly take him back with open arms. I feel like this will be the best option for him so he can find a family with children or other pets, or someone who can be with him much more during the day. I feel like I'd be failing my sweet kitten and breaking his heart if I give him up though. I don't know what to do, and it's making me cry.

I'm open to any suggestions!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think you should give him back, he sounds wonderful! He probably sleeps for most of the day while you are at work. Have the neighbors said if he cries while you are gone? Cats grow up so fast, they are almost full grown at 6 months, I think he will outgrow this soon. Does he have a cat tree where he can look out the window?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kiki123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I have a cat tree for him, he doesn't have much interest in it though! I picked him up and put him in the lounger and he jumped off and ran towards me and started climbing up my pants. I just really want what's best for him and worry so much that he is depressed and lonely :(

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he will be okay. If the neighbors don't complain that he is crying, then he is probably just sleeping all day and wakes up when you get home. Cats sleep about 16 hours a day.

maggielee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You might try getting a small aquarium for him to look at during the day or get some cat videos (they come in different subjects like birds, squirrels, fish, etc.) to give him some movement to look at during the day. He sounds precious and thank you for adopting a kitten needing a home. All the best to both of you!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd second a small aquarium (just make sure it has a sturdy lid), one of my three cats could spend hours staring at the fish swimming around. I would bet that when you are away, he just sleeps. Cats will adjust to our schedule so you may try establishing a strict schedule for yourself so he learns when things will happen. It will help with separation anxiety and, in the future, keep him from keeping you awake at night. Given his age it will take a few weeks for him to get used to it but if you are diligent on it you will find one day that he gets mad at you for not following it. I can't tell you how many times my guys will yell at me for not being in bed on time.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree that he can be entertained with visual stimulation- or will likely sleep - during the day while you're away. Since you're his "mama" now, and nothing brings him as much happiness as being with you, he'd probably rather stay There's no guarantee that he will be as attached to another person / family if he gets adopted again, and permanent separation from you might be traumatic for him. I know you're just trying to do what's best for him, but I think you already are, and shouldn't feel guilty at all! :angelcat:
As a side note: one of my cats is not much older than yours, and is very attached to me. She has already become a little more independent in the last month or two, especially with a routine (as stated by Kieka.)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, you are his mama now. He sounds so wonderful and loving, I don't think you should give a gift like that up. He'll be grown up in a few months and more independent.