Took in a cat that has parvo and possibly kittens too

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tested the mom a few hours ago and it was positive. Dr puther on antibiotic (liquid) and two antibiotic injections. Are her kitten pretty much positive too? If so what can i do to save them please helppppp

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The mom was nursing them, is that certain the kitten already gotnjnfected?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good hygiene! Make sure you change clothes between handling affected cats and non infected cats. Using a plastic bag over footwear or shoe covers or changing shoes as well. Wash hands thoroughly. Don’t let cats share litter boxes, food dishes, water dishes or carriers/cages. Clean all the previously mentioned items with 1part bleach to 32 parts water. Keep all bedding cleaned as well. Dispose of any litter , uneaten food etc. in tied up plastic bags so nothing can get to it later. Take the refuse out as soon as you bag it up. Basically, practice hospital hygiene. That is always a good idea with any cat illness in a home with more than one cat anyway. Your vet is the best source for care and information. I have read of studies using Neupogen but you must discuss this with your vet as I don’t know if it is proven or available. You can find more about this online. Sub Q fluids are something my vet had me use in this case and it did help if kitty got dehydrated. Cats can fight this off. Nothing is certain so just hang in there. Keep all kitties separated and vaccinate if possible. You already have mom on antibiotics and treatment. Very glad you caught it. If kitten is not showing symptoms yet, just wait and give good supportive care. Please do keep us updated. Our hearts are with you.

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow im not sure if i can maintain that level of cleanliness because i have a total of 10 semi strays that are living witht me. I think the mom is on her way out :(:(:( She stopped nursing the little ones. Thanks

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just do the best you can. Mainly wash up well before handling and don’t let the sick or exposed cats share anything. This is very contagious. I keep a large shirt that covers my clothes next to the door of the room where I isolate cats. Easy on and off. Getting your other cats vaccinated can make a huge difference. I know how hard it can be to isolate. I take care of 30 that began as ferals. Isolating is important though. I hope mom cat makes it. Kittens too.

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So happy to report the mom is starting to eat a little bit. Nursing her babies as we speak. She’s not entirely out of the woods yet but so far so good. I’m super happy rn thanks