too broke to buy "traditional" cat food

fishgirl54

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everybody,
Usually I give my cat iams cat food, however I'm fixin to run out and I can't afford to even buy a small bag. Is there something I can give her that I would have been my own kitchen, like rice or something like that, for a few days until I get paid?

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats are obligate carnivores so if you have to give her human food it has to be meat- also not cheap.

Meow mix is bad for cats but better than nothing.  Do you have enough money to buy her a small bag of that at least?

If not, I'd start calling shelters and friends with cats and vets.  Explain your situation and see if any of them can spot you some cat food until you can buy more.

A few days is FAR too long for her to go without eating, so you have to find some way to get her something. Do you not have a credit card? Family or friends you can borrow $10 from?

If you REALLY can't afford to get her anything or if this is a frequent situation, I would seriously consider rehoming her or surrendering her to a shelter. There is no way to say this where I can be sure it won't be perceived as harsh or judgmental, but I really am not either thing- I am just concerned about your kitty and her health, well-being, and life.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats CAN'T go without food for very long or they develop liver problems. Meat is the best, do you have canned tuna, any canned meat at all? How about soup with meat in it, or lunch meat? Really though, a small bag of dry cat food is not much, check your drawers, in the car, and your sofa! Cheaper canned cat food is like 39 cents a can at the dollar store, can you sell something on the radio? My heart goes out to you, I hope something comes up, I'll pray for you both.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can get a large can (13 oz) of Special Kitty at Walmart for 70 cents, and this will feed a normal cat for 2 1/2 days. Grocery stores usually have their store brand for maybe 85 cents for that size. If you can scrape up a dollar this is probably your best bet. Human food costs more than that.

If you're stuck with human food, you can mix meat or eggs with rice at 75% meat or eggs to 25% rice. It will be easier for her to digest if the rice is overcooked, since cats don't digest grains well. This is only for short-term since it won't have calcium or all the vitamins she'll need.

Most "everything's a dollar" stores will have a small box of kibble for a dollar. It's terrible quality and actually costs more per pound than a better food, but it's better than nothing if you only have a buck to your name.

A lot of shelters have pet food pantries (most shelters only use one or two brands, so any donations they get that aren't those brands are given away). Call around to ask.

Last edited:

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please be careful of the Special Kitty brand at Walmart.  I know that this probably won't happen now, but Special Kitty was the tainted brand that did in my cat, Sailor, in 2005, during the Chinese contaminated cat food saga.

I stick with brand like 9 Lives or Little Friskies.  Big Lots has decent prices on those two brands.

Good wishes to you.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For a short time, you can also feed your cat raw (or cooked) chicken (NO COOKED BONES). I mention chicken because it is usually the cheapest protein widely available and often on sale. But certainly if you have access to free or really cheap meat (beef, deer, etc.) that's fine too.
Do you eat eggs? Save the shell, crumble and sprinkle it on the raw/cooked chicken. (Egg shell is an acceptable substitute for calcium/bone.)
If you can find liver (from any animal), feed your cat about a teaspoon worth a day. (Yes they need some other stuff like kidney, but not immediately.)

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My husband and I can something almost every weekend.  This last week, our local supermarket had a really good sale on chicken hind quarters, for $0.59 a pound.  That is $5.90 for a ten pound bag of chicken.  So we loaded up.

While preparing the chicken for canning, we collect the discarded skin, kidneys, etc., to put in a pot to make chicken broth, which we also can.  When we strain the liquid out, we are left with bits of meat and skin.  This can serve as a cat food, if necessary.  We have it in the freezer, and only bring out a little to thaw and add to the cats' regular diet.  We also have done this with beef.  We haven't tried making pork broth yet.

This is just a suggestion in case you are canning, not to throw away what might have been looked on as 'garbage' in the past.

Good luck to you!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

fishgirl54

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your awesome suggestions! I did end up just borrowing from my in-laws.
For those concerned: we have only had Luna for about a month so I really wasn't sure how fast she would go through food so my last paycheck I thought she could make it all the way through for 2 weeks on what we had. Turns out she can't but now I know to be prepared!