TNR vs vet appointment neuter

jd333

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have been feeding 2 stray kittens they have become friendly I am without a doubt keeping them. One male, one female. They are approximately 4 months, the male cat quite larger. I can bring him to TNR next week to get neutered and ear tipped, or the wait for a regular vet is over a month. I do NOT want them to mate and make more kittens. My question is - are there added risks to neutering done at TNR clinics? Or is the procedure basically the same as any vet? I know the ear tipping isnt ideal, but a potential new batch of kittens would be disastrous no one I know would take any.

I will gladly get the female cat spay at a regular vet in a month or two but need the male cat neutered asap.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would think the TNR clinic would be just fine. They could be considered specialized in it since that's the main thing they do no?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The TNR spay and neuter clinics are, in my experience, more like an assembly line type of situation. They do a massive amount of cats in a very short time using the same anesthetic protocol for all. That being said, they are doing great work for the feral kittens and cats. But, it won’t be the same as having them done through a regular vet.

I understand the urgency to get them neutered and they will very much not have a problem trying to get their sister pregnant. So, if that is the only option, then it needs to be done. Although 4 months is young to be getting anyone pregnant, it does happen and a friend of mine experienced just that when she took in an outside kitten.

You can try calling around to other vets. A neuter literally takes less than 5 minutes to do. I am shocked there is a one month waiting time.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can try calling around to other vets. A neuter literally takes less than 5 minutes to do. I am shocked there is a one month waiting time.
1-3 months waiting time is normal here in Canada right now, basically across the country. Not sure where OP is though.