Time to make a decision

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's been close to six months since I last had Peter at the vet and posted
about him having a grade 2 heart murmur.

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...ighlight=peter

At the time, after talking to my vet, we decided to take a conversative approach to the situation and wait six months to see if he outgrew it before taking the next step which would be xrays and an ultrasound to determine what's causing it. He's now 14 months old. Peter seems totally happy and healthy and a few people I know have said they wouldn't bother with the additional testing for that reason. But, if there is something seriously wrong, I'd rather know now so we can address the problem.

I also want to have as much information as possible going into this, so I'm wondering if anyone else has had experience with a heart murmur in a young cat? Any advice?

Thanks!

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have not experienced it myselef, but have a friend who is going through something similar. She went ahead and did the ECG, and ultrasound. It's a good thing she did, he does have the beginning stages of HCM, and now that she knows she can better monitor his health. He is only a few years old, so she caught it early.

kathylou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would not try to fix what's not broken. Has he been neutered and vaccinated? There might be an effect with ansthesia or other meds. I myself have lived with a heart murmur (don't know what grade) for 50 years.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kathylou

I would not try to fix what's not broken. Has he been neutered and vaccinated? There might be an effect with ansthesia or other meds. I myself have lived with a heart murmur (don't know what grade) for 50 years.
Yes. He was neutered at four months and is current on all his shots.
I think for my own piece of mind, I need to at least get him back in for a check up.

bossinova

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If it was me, I would have to take him in for the tests. The not knowing would cause more anxiety, I think, than learning the diagnosis. At least you can have a plan of action if you know what it is and where he stands with it. Seeing how cats can hide illnesses so well, I honestly think it's a good idea to do it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Okay. We have an appointment for Wed. next week, however when I called to schedule this the receptionist said, "So you're calling to have your kitty declawed?"
I hope my vet's not promoting this now!