Thyroid? Excessive weight gain? only 1yr old

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I appologize if this is a repeat posting. I did search the postings in this forum, but didn't find exactly what I'm looking for.
I"m looking for some advice - I think.
One of my cats is just over a year old and she is absolutely huge (weight wise). I've got another cat that's a little chunky and two skinny skinny ones, but this one is solid. I don't know how much she weighs, my scale is broken and she is not due for her shots for a little while yet. The thing is, that in most cases I'd suspect it's a thyroid (in which case I know I'd need bloodwork done, etc), but what are all the symptoms to look for though? I mean, I can't just go on weight only. My kitties all eat just dry food and very very little of it. I put down just enough for them so that it works out to be about 1/4 cup each twice a day. They seem perfectly happy with it, not meowing to eat more and in fact leaving very little in the bowl. My fattest one though does not eat a lot at all, so it's not the food. She doesn't eat people food and does not like canned food. She does not drink a lot of water at all and she is extremely active. Runs, plays, climbs - no wheezing, out of breath, anything. So in other words she's a completely normal acting cat with the acception of her size. Anyone have any ideas? what are all the other symptoms of thyroid? Anything else it could be? Or is my big baby just "big boned"??

dr. doolittle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) is extremely rare in cats. Symptoms include weight gain, listlessness, poor hair coat, hair loss, and a weakened immune system so lots of opportunistic infections.
I suspect that your kitty is just a big girl. What diet are you feeding? Commercial diets (grocery store brands) are typically very high in calories. I think it may be time for her to switch to a good quality, low cal diet.

kittycity

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ditto. Cats are far more likely to become hyperthyroid, and it most frequently shows up among older cats. Dogs, on the other hand, are more likely to become hypothyroid.

If your cat's thyroid function is a concern, the only way to check is through blood test that measures her TSH, or thyroid-stimulating hormones. You might want to have it checked, just to rule it out, on the off-chance this cat really is among the tiny minority who get hypothyroid in youth - or may have something else going on, such as a thyroid tumor.

A good way to check her weight in proportion to her size is to see whether you can feel her ribs and spine. Also, when you view her from above, does she have an hourglass shape with a defined waist? If she doesn't have a lot of fat padding on her body, chances are she is just a large kitty. Do be sure to feed a high-quality food, though, and make sure she continues to get her exercise.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the help. I had no idea that thyroid (hypo??) was that rare in cats. I know that they can get Hyper?? when they are older (i.e. - weight loss) because I had a cat with it, but didn't know it was rare to go the other way. (
Sorry if the terms are incorrect or backwards above - I have no idea one from the other, but you can hopefully surmise what I"m trying to say)
Anyways - thanks again. Guess I'll just need to focus a little more on diet and exercise. (Diet not so easy with 4 in the house, but I'll try).