Thoughts on remedies to calm cats on flights

2rascalkitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My husband and I are in the process of moving back to Oahu (Hawaii) on May 15. Now the only thing I know I'll be worried about is my 2 cats. The flight is 5 hours, and I want to make sure that they'll be okay since we're putting them as cargo.

I know I can ask our Vet about this, but I wanted to get a second opinion. What do you think about calming remedies? Do you think it's worth using?

As you can tell, I'm way too concerned. I just don't want anything bad (like health related) happening to them while on the flight. Someone tell me it'll be okay!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most vets would rather you not sedate your animal when traveling. In our care section there is an excellent article called Traveling with Cats that gives great tips to help your cats weather the uncertainty of air travel.

baileysidney11

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've tried numerous calming remedies to no avail. None have had any effect. I'd be concerned about shipping the cats as cargo. Could you possibly take them inside and put them under your seat? I've heard horro stories about shipping animals.

mom of franz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NYC The Town so Nice, They Named it Twice!
Originally Posted by 2rascalkitties

My husband and I are in the process of moving back to Oahu (Hawaii) on May 15. Now the only thing I know I'll be worried about is my 2 cats. The flight is 5 hours, and I want to make sure that they'll be okay since we're putting them as cargo.

I know I can ask our Vet about this, but I wanted to get a second opinion. What do you think about calming remedies? Do you think it's worth using?

As you can tell, I'm way too concerned. I just don't want anything bad (like health related) happening to them while on the flight. Someone tell me it'll be okay!
Pet Calm (available at PetCo) has worked for me (and Franz..LOL) It's made from the Kava Kava root. I honestly don't know how well it would work on a long flight. It costs about $10.00.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2rascalkitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hissy- I'll definitely check out that article. You've always been so helpful.

Baileysidney11- Thanks for your concern. Yes, I have thought about bringing them in the cabin with us, but wasn't sure how other people would react in an instance of them urinating (smell), or constant meows. I've talked to my Aunty who had shipped her dog from California to Hawaii, and also my manager shipping her 2 cats and a dog from Italy to the states. Both hadn't put them on any sedatives, the outcome was good, but of course the pets were angry at their parents since they were in cargo. Haha!

Mom of Franz- Wow! Kava root, huh? Interesting! I'll probably try that out once New Year's eve comes around. Hehehe!

Now they already have their name and Hawaii address spray painted on their carriers. And of course United Airlines will provide a tag that will go on it. It's such a process just to fly your babies along with you. The safer the better, right?!