Thoughts On A Subscription Box For Cat Food? (business Project, Please Help!)

cay23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!

I'm working on a project where we basically have to come up with a new business idea, taking into account market needs, cost, competitors, etc. I love my cats and wanted to do something pet related, but just wanted some opinions first!

I am thinking of a subscription box for cat food, but with a tailored diet. For example, measuring out sachets based on cats age/weight/activity, with an option for different combos of wet/dry food. It would offer a premium or budget-friendly option, and be adjusted if a cat is overweight, and also accommodate additional meal plans for a second cat.

Is this a product that, as a cat owner, you might be interested in? It's based off my personal experiences of not being sure of how much to feed my two very different cats (active Maine Coon vs lazy domestic).

Please no mean comments, it's just an assignment, I just want to see if it's a feasible idea or just silly :)

Thank you for any help!!

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please no mean comments, it's just an assignment, I just want to see if it's a feasible idea or just silly
Don't worry you won't get mean comments on here.
Is this an actual money making business plan or a sort of 'The Apprentice' type thing to show others your business acumen?
In any event I can see some merit in this idea for folks with weight problem cats mainly or others that dig into a big can and have to guess what they're dishing out. Inventions etc. are all about making us lazy humans save a bit of time or effort as I think you'll agree.
I'm sure you'll get a few more comments.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Because there would have to be such a large choice to meet so many individual needs I dont know whether it would be feasible/ cost effective. Something that is so specific would be costly because it is doubtful that it could be mass produced and some of the specifics ie quantity per serving can be done at home by the cat owner.

Only an idea but start a thread asking site members what they struggle finding/ buying and see if one item is commonly problematic.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I used NomNomNow to try it out, and it has a similar business model. I ended up stopping because they only offer chicken and salmon meals ... I was looking for rabbit to see if I can convince our IBD cat to try it.

I ended up cancelling the service because canned food is cheaper and more convenient - the food was good quality but I wonder that people who would look into enough to use it would need to have some money and no desire to make it at home. If I were to go to such a high quality route I would feed homemade raw food instead.

So good idea, I am curious about the target market and if that’s enough to carry the business.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cay23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone, thank you all so much for the thoughtful answers! I like the suggestion of seeing what issues cat owners are facing or what could be done to make their lives more convenient. Perhaps offering different raw foods could be an option? For example; fish-based, rabbit, roo, low-calorie, for sensitive stomachs, etc. I will have to check Australian markets, as that is my theoretical target group.

Thank you again!