This guy may be a Snowshoe... but I'd like to know what others think!

colbys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sooo, I made a friend recently. He sleeps on cars around my apartment complex and doesn't have a home. A guy near me leaves some food out for him, so I know he's not living anywhere. He's kinda shy -- probably because he's a stray -- but after weeks of me hanging around him he finally let me pet him. He became more and more comfortable with me over time and started to "trust me" to the point to where he'd follow me around when we'd see each other :) I've actually been able to teach him to "heel", JUST like a dog!!! He walks right next to me and periodically looks up at me to see if he's doing okay, and I'll reach down and pet him in approval. We've been doing this for over three weeks now. He seems like one of the smartest cats ever!!! In the past 2 weeks he's been coming into my apartment and hanging out/sleeping here sometimes. He's very sweet and won't ever scratch me, but he can be jumpy at noises he doesn't know. He also won't get on my lap or anything, but I'm sure his being a stray contributes to being uncomfortable with that.

So I decided to research what he could be, since he looks like a Siamese... except for his body size and the white feet. I quickly discovered the Snowshoe Cat and he fits the description (temperament/personality and appearance-wise) with only ONE exception -- the upside-down white "V" on his face is very, very faint. I would rather just call it 'incomplete'. My opinion is that someone trying to breed Snowshoes probably just got rid of the cats in the litter that didn't 100% match the Snowshoe criteria, since it's all based on recessive genes and very difficult to get right. He's smart, relational, loyal, stocky and long, his coat is short and sleek, blue eyes, white paws and dark points on ears/nose/legs. Even the "meow" fits the description; it's very soft and melodic as a Snowshoe's should be, and he doesn't do it much at all.

I'd love to hear your opinions :) I'm really curious to hear from those familiar with the breed!!!

Thank you :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

colbys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Tiptopper! Do you have any experience with the breed? I hope he is one, cause they're such a rare find.

I agree princess... He's also incredibly sweet & smart. Deserves a good friend/home.

sasha101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Definately a snowshoe Siamese. Ive got one of my own and she is so sweet and beautiful. My cat is so gentle that she only snaps but never actually bites, also she is dependant yet very independant she will only let you hold her if she gets on your lap by herself if you put her there she will jump off imediately and ignore you for a few hours before she gets over it and sits in front of your phone making it impossible to goof off on facebook lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

sasha101

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Obviousley her pattern is different but her paws are white and her eyes a bright blue and when she looks at you her eyes twitch or shake back and forth almost like shes looking back and forth from each eye and that is a huge que to know that there is Siamese

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's probably not purebred. That pattern can pop up in the general cat population too. All pointed/blue-eyed cats are descended from the original Siamese, but it could be many generations back.

He's gorgeous! He's clearly not neutered, so you'll want to have that done soon, before he gets any big ideas about spraying.

colbys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey Willowy, sorry for such a late response. What's got me so curious about this guy is.. I did a whole lot of research on snowshoes and his personality is so unmistakably similar to a snowshoe's description. I grew up with cats, had over 10 living back home. And this guy is the neediest cat ever. He won't go into any room if I don't follow him. He can't stand it if I leave with him inside, and upset with me for doing so when I get back. Being a stray, he's a bit shy at first to people but once he trusts he's the sweetest, most affectionate cat I've been around; never once tried to scratch or bite in over a year being with me. Also the smartest cat I've owned, I taught him commands like "no" "down" "up" and "sit". He can be vocal when he needs stuff, but his voice is low and calm.

I know purebread snowshoes are exceptionally rare, but almost everything lines up. I wish there was a way to know for sure so I could confidently say what he is. If he is one, my best guess is he was bred in a litter and the either ran away, or the owner dumped all the cats with faults for snowshoes -- his being the missing V on his face and being slightly crosseyed. I'm just guessing, wish I knew for sure.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, Snowshoe!

mooshuprinter.jpg

colbys colbys - You can't show without a pedigree (other than in the Household Pets category), but the Evil Snowshoe looks and personality traits can't be hidden - and Seal Point Snowshoes, with their Lapis coloured eyes can be seen a mile off.

colbys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
colbys colbys - You can't show without a pedigree (other than in the Household Pets category), but the Evil Snowshoe looks and personality traits can't be hidden - and Seal Point Snowshoes, with their Lapis coloured eyes can be seen a mile off.
I understand, but I have no intention to show him or anything. I just have the free time to explore what/who the little guy is, lol. Just my incessant curiosity I guess. Your cat is freaking gorgeous! I find the blue eyes of these cats to be the most striking. They're just all-around beautiful cats.

Dacatchai, it goes both ways. We've become real good friends, he's a great companion... almost like a small dog, lol. There's lots of cats around but we've got a unique bond. :)

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
colbys colbys - Yours and mine could be Brother and Sister. Mine's one of the McAllister's Snowshoes (Bellesandbeaux); have a look through their past Regional and International Winners - Bellesandbeaux Charity, Bellesandbeaux Once Upon A Dream, Bellesandbeaux O My Goodness, and Blueyed Amie Lyn of Bellesandbeaux all have Lapis eye colour.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It must have been fate, your new best friend is truly a rare find! :thumbsup: And he's an extremely handsome cat. Best of luck, please keep those pics coming.

aradasky

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
IMG_1644.JPG
IMG_1649.JPG
IMG_1650.JPG
IMG_1647.JPG
Three years ago the first of Sept, I wanted to get another kitten so my grandson and I walked into our no-kill shelter. A brother and sister were in a cage together. I have always had an affinity for Siamese and had them as a child but had not had one as an adult. I could not leave without both of them. She is a ragdoll and he is a snowshoe. Both had been feral born and even after three years have survival instincts that come through every day. They both are super attached, although the gray shorthair that is in one picture, Tinker, is always begging for attention.

We are all very lucky they found our way into our lives!

Attachments

colbys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
aradasky - gorgeous cats you have! I may be wrong, but does that Snowshoe you got have blue points? I've never seen that, only seal points. I'll try to get some updated pics of Thaz up here for y'all to see. His name's Balthazar, I call him Thaz for short. haha

Do your guy's Snowshoes love watching tv? I'd love to post a video of him watching tv... it's hilarious. He really gets into it!

aradasky

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Your's too! I would say yes to him being a blue point.

No, he does not watch TV, but he is a total cuddles. My cats do not meow much at all, but he is the most vocal of all four.