The Separation Of Two Cat Sisters

SB1216

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone! I have a major dilemma that I would appreciate some fresh insight on. About 4 years ago two little kittens were brought into our family; they've been growing up together in the same house ever since. The smaller cat of the two, Mittens, has grown super attached to me, far more than anyone else in the house, and her sibling is more or less attached to everyone else in the house. They get along 50% of the time and the other 50% they are fighting, sometimes aggressively, and picking on each other. Now, in a few months I will be leaving to continue my studies at a university that is about 5 hours away from home. My question is, what are your thoughts on separating these cat siblings? I'm worried that taking Mittens with me to a new city will cause a depression in either one of the cats from the separation; whereas at the same time I'm worried that Mittens may become depressed when I leave and don't take her as she is very attached to me. Please help!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: I've never been in your situation, nor have I ever had sibling cats, so I can't advise from personal experience. However, I think if it were me, I'd leave Mittens where she is, with her sister and in the home she knows, and possibly adopt another cat/kitten once I got settled at university.

Hopefully other members will reply with comments and suggestions.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Please tell me a bit more about your new situation. Are there specific rules governing cats? Sometimes that tells the story right there. If, for instance, an apartment complex or landlord required declawing, then Mittens most definitely needs to stay where she is!

Cats are ruled and comforted by their routines. Disrupting that is never to be taken lightly, but with planning and forethought. She may do fine, but you will need to do a good bit of prep. We have articles that I'll link you to once you let me know about the new home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SB1216

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I haven’t got an apartment selected at the moment but whatever I do choose it will be 100% pet friendly (I want absolutely nothing to do with declawing or anything of the nature), one bedroom, just your average size apartment.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, good. That's a relief.

So the next question is, what kind of personality does Mittens have? Is she confident, outgoing, eager for new experiences, or is she more shy and timid?

SB1216

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She’s more timid than she is outgoing, I think that may have to do with her being the runt of the litter; her sister is far fatter and outgoing than she. Don’t get me wrong she’s a friendly cat, it just takes her a while to warm up to new people. She’s always wanting attention to the point where she'll follow me around the house “screaming” at me until I pet her down for a few minutes. She’s a really loveable cuddly cat once she gets too familiar with you

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sounds as if she is really bonded with you. In that case, and so long as you can find housing that is truly pet friendly, she may do better going with you. If either of the sisters are lonely, there are a LOT of cats and kittens needing homes. She may fool everyone and thrive as an "only child." My Hekitty started off life with her sister. When I moved and brought her with me (there was no question of leaving her behind), she blossomed from a timid young cat into a bossy little tyrant who rules my house with an iron paw!

Should you decide to take her, we have all sorts of articles about moving with cats. Would you like those links? I'll be happy to post them for you!

SB1216

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes please I would love to read those articles :) and thank you for everything you’ve said it’s helped me a lot :)

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here we go, then!

Renting With A Cat? Find Out How To Keep Your Landlord Happy
9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment
How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats) (I'm thinking that the new place will be smaller)
How To Move With Your Cat To A New Home In A Safe Way
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home (this works well for old cat/new home too!)
Bringing Home A New Cat - The Complete Guide (like the previous, it can work well for old cat/new house)

My own special tip for moving with a cat is this...to a cat, territory is everything, and territory is defined as "I smell me here strongly, so this is MINE!" Take an old sheet (or buy a single flat at Walmart for $5) and throw it over a favorite lounging spot for Mittens. Let her shed ALL OVER IT! Right before the move, pick the sheet up and cut it into squares, about 18" on each side. Fold, fur-side in and place in a plastic bag. Before you let her loose in your apartment, scatter the furry squares around the new spaces. INSTANT TERRITORY! Everywhere she goes in the new apartment will already have her scent there waiting for her.