The Girls Need to Lose Weight

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Not a lot, but some. Iris was at the vet on Friday for a urinary problem, and the vet commented that she’s gained a bit too much weight. I knew that, and in fact, all three could slim down a bit.

They currently get 4 ozs./day split between two meals. I use Dr. Pierson’s recipe (with eggshell calcium instead of bone) and rotate among three proteins: chicken thighs that are rather fatty, pork loin, and turkey breast. The latter two are lean.

Should I reduce the amount of food I feed them, or keep the same amount and cut more fat off the thighs? I think it should be the latter, right? It would increase the protein to fat ratio and help them lose weight. Four ozs. is already a small amount of food. It doesn’t seem like I should reduce it. They all weigh about 10 pounds. Iris and Mocha should be closer to nine: Lily should be about 9.5.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HI. Sorry no one has responded yet! I would guess until you hear from other members, try taking more of the fat off the thighs. It would seem they are not that overweight, and that a little bit of a change such as what you are proposing might be just enough.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have similar problem, my boy was called “chubby” at their latest check up 😶 My plan is to increase their activity for now as admittedly, we’ve played less with them recently.. They also don’t eat much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I have similar problem, my boy was called “chubby” at their latest check up 😶 My plan is to increase their activity for now as admittedly, we’ve played less with them recently.. They also don’t eat much.
Good thought but Iris and Lily are 16 and very arthritic. Their running around days are over. :( Mocha is six and is already pretty active, but it wouldn't hurt to get her moving a bit more!