The "everything is a toy" phase

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone know how long a kitten stays in the "everything is a toy" phase? Bond is so active and seems to think everything is a toy. My hair, my legs, and ankles in particular he is bad about. Bond is probably a teenager agewise. Between 7 and 9 months probably.

When he bites my ankles or feet I just ignore him and keep walking but sometimes it doesn't really work. I hope this is a phase he will grow out of.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If the biting bothers you, you may both ouch and even hiss... So he learns there is a limit. Or at very least, to take it very easy.

I presume these arent love bites, but play bites.

Another idea is to get a companion to him.... So he will play and wrestle with this companion instead.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
He has Indy but this week she has been feeling a bit off. I think she had a herpes flair up maybe and has been cranky with him. She is getting better though and I will start letting them play again.

Kittybang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awww I remember when mine use to do that lol is bond an only kitten ? If so he sees you as his playmate and sources of fun lol listen mine used to do that same thing run up and bite me on my ankle mostly but also on my leg lol at first I couldn’t understand it lol it would get me a little upset then . I realize it’s her way of saying I wanna play so play with me lol so just play with bond yeah it’s kitten hood and enjoy it while it lasts lol mine is almost a year and half but I still miss her kitten good days lmao such a little tornado she was lol

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww I remember when mine use to do that lol is bond an only kitten ? If so he sees you as his playmate and sources of fun lol listen mine used to do that same thing run up and bite me on my ankle mostly but also on my leg lol at first I couldn’t understand it lol it would get me a little upset then . I realize it’s her way of saying I wanna play so play with me lol so just play with bond yeah it’s kitten hood and enjoy it while it lasts lol mine is almost a year and half but I still miss her kitten good days lmao such a little tornado she was lol
Bond has kind of a sad backstory. Acording to the rescue he came from, someone dumped him on a farm in the country and the farmer brought him to the rescue after he ran into the farmhouse having obviously been a housecat before. Outside of that I don't know his backstory.

The rescue actualy had his profile saying 1 year and 6 months but his apperance and even teeth say otherwise. Maybe his documents got mixed up or something idk. Even my vet said he is a kitten teenager. He even seems to have grown since I got him.

Indy is 5 but she easily keeps up with Bond they chase each other and wrestle all the time like my studio appartment is the Wrestlemania.

Kittybang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well if bond was that old he should have been out of his kitten hood phase . But it seems like he took to you lol mine was the same way . She took to me almost instantly as a kitten . Which did surprise me some lol just love bond and enjoy his furry butt lol plus he has abandonment issues too that can cause trauma. It’s like no one wanted him :( . How was he when u first got him ? Did he hide or shy away

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
He was quite skittish when I brought him home and would let me pet but not pick him up. He now lets me pick him up for short periods but not other people. He gets airplane mode ears if other people pick him up.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Anyone know how long a kitten stays in the "everything is a toy" phase? Bond is so active and seems to think everything is a toy. My hair, my legs, and ankles in particular he is bad about. Bond is probably a teenager agewise. Between 7 and 9 months probably.

When he bites my ankles or feet I just ignore him and keep walking but sometimes it doesn't really work. I hope this is a phase he will grow out of.
When I eeeped at them they got out of attacking me quickly.

Ill let you know when Magnus (4 in a few days), Calcifer (3 in June) and Ghost (estimted 2/3 in June) grow out of everything being their toy. 😅

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm working with bond but the most annoying thing he does is glomp my face with his paws. I say ouch no in a high voice .

Kittybang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aww well best of luck seriously he’s lucky to have you . Mine is the same way she won’t let no one else beside me pick her up . Lol I actually never understood why ? But I guess I’m lucky . But anyhow keep working with bond eventually he will let you hold him longer . If not see if you can put him on your shoulders. Cause sometimes my kitty doesn’t like to be hold so she will get up on top my shoulder . And just chill and hang out lol