The Bathroom....

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We built our house back in 1985 and moved in in January 1986. So the house is getting up there in years. Several years ago, we gutted the kitchen and started over. This time, we did the bathroom. It was an interesting experience. It was the renovation project that never ended and we had a lot of problems. We started back around the New Year by tearing out the double closet. Today is August 21 and the shower door was installed this morning. The bathroom is done.

We took out the small window and put in a larger window. I like the Roman blind; it fits inside the window and you can see around it from the outside. While I like the ceiling light, I think now that we should have gone with four lights instead of just three.

We chose grey cabinets, but when they came, they were actually a blue-grey. We liked them so much, we decided to keep them. The wall color at the cabinets is Victorian Plum (because we thought we had ordered grey cabinets). The other walls are painted in Silver Bullet.

We chose Angola Black granite for the countertop. It almost has a leather-like feel. We didn't want it to be shiny at all and we're pleased with how it turned out. The sinks and toilet are Kohler in Ice Grey.

We went with porcelain tiles on the floor.

We went with ceramic tiles in the shower with the glass decor around the shower and the niches. The grout is Charcoal Grey. I love, love, love the stone floor! I always say it almost feels like I'm getting a foot massage while I'm in the shower. There are pot lights in the ceiling.

We have two rain shower heads, plus a hand-held shower for bathing The Beast.

Did I mention that I :redheartpump::redheartpump: the stone floor?!

Meet Bastet! I found her on Etsy and had to have her come home and live in the bathroom. I think she's pretty cool. Muffin walked in the bathroom, stopped dead, looked at her, and hissed, and took off back the hallway.

I found this clock on Etsy, too, and really liked it.

Thanks for looking! We love the new bathroom!

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
that's a beautiful bathroom!

The shower tiles gives me ideas when I need to gut mine.. like 5 years down the line. lol

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Very nice bathroom. That shower is amazing! Love the granite and how the sinks are mounted underneath it.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's beautiful!! :loveeyes:

I'm daydreaming up a similar color scheme using a deep purple. It looks very soothing!

I've been daydreaming about that type of shower floor too. :lol:

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your bathroom is beautiful! When I get mine redone I'm going to copy your shower doors and floor, and have the vanity tops in quartz. I've read that it scratches less than granite. The cabinets on the vanity are so unique, so much prettier than wall cabinets. Is the stone shower floor not slippery, you don't neeed a bath mat? Love it!

tangers40

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ooh, very nice! I am curious about cleaning and maintenance on that stone shower floor, though. Is it any harder to maintain or clean than a regular tile floor? I have visions of having to get down there with a toothbrush or something and scrubbing all those nooks and crannies....

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely beautiful! I'm getting things together to redo mine too! Have the mirror, vanity top, sensor faucet and light so far. I have a stone tile floor and it goes a third of the way up the walls so have to go with a brown theme instead of grey. Thanks for the pics!

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Beautiful! When we FINALLY finish remodeling downstairs (still have floors to do in 2 rooms and a hallway) we will start upstairs in the extra bathroom. It is never ending!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks guys! I appreciate you looking at the pictures!

The stone floor is wonderful. Not slippery at all. There are two kinds of stone: 1) a cut stone, where all the stones are cut in half and then laid in the tile or 2) the whole stones in the tiles. I was told that the halved stones, while a more comfortable fit on your bare feet because they're more even, can be quite slippery. And, you know, if anybody's going to fall on slippery stones, that would be me. I really like the whole stones and they were less expensive than the halved stones. When the contractor laid the shower floor, he called his wife to come down and take a look at it; she's been wanting a stone floor, but didn't know what it would look like finished....she loved it.

I've not had any trouble keeping the stones clean. The shower does a good job overall; the floor is slightly graded toward the drain. I use Dawn in warm water to wash the stones down. We have a steam cleaner and Rick will use that about once a month or so. The stones and the tiles do have to be sealed once a year.....at least. I already seal our granite counter tops in the kitchen on a regular basis; it's not a big deal. Do not use Soft Scrub or even vinegar/acid to wash stones or tile. For the shower doors, the guy yesterday said that Rain-X is good to use; they also recommended Wet and Forget. You just spray it on and you're good to go. I'm buying a squeegee.

I really don't know about quartz scratching less than granite. When we were doing the kitchen over, I specifically told the designer that I wanted a counter top that I could roll dough out on, that I could cut dough, etc. He said, "Then you want granite." I haven't scratched our counter tops in the kitchen and I do cut on them. Not all the time, but if I'm making sticky buns or ravioli and I need to cut the dough, I do. It does more damage to my knives that it does to the counter top. We looked at different quartz patterns, but once Rick saw the Angola Black granite, he was hooked.

The bathroom cabinets are actually kitchen cabinets. Rick works for a kitchen cabinet manufacturer and he was able to buy them with a nice discount. He wanted them to look more like furniture, though, so he had "legs" put on them. No big deal; I take a dust mop/Swiffer under them a couple times a week to get rid of fur balls and dust bunnies. He also bought the mirrors through his work and was able to have them framed to match the cabinets.

My sister is doing her bathroom over in browns and it's really pretty. Their bathroom was very small, so they took some space from one of the bedrooms and added it to their bathroom; the rest of that bedroom became a walk-in dressing room. She has a separate shower and tub....she prefers baths because "You know, you can't drink wine in the shower"!! :lol: We ditched our bathtub and just have the shower. Ultimately it may hurt the resale value of the house, but we learned that you do what's best for you. And there's no sense having a bathtub that we won't use.

Thank you!

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Great WOW! That's gorgeous! I could happily live in there. A bathroom like that almost makes it easy to get up in the morning. I must confess I'm drooling. I especially love Bastet.

It looks like a featured room in one of those fancy home decorating magazines.

The photos are great. Thanks for sharing them.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He wanted them to look more like furniture, though, so he had "legs" put on them.
I told DH the other night that if we remodel our bathroom we are doing this! There isn't a big gap between the shower and the cabinet. Maybe 12". And water tends to get on the floor there. So the bottom side of the cabinet is warped. We have to be careful to have the curtain liner arranged just right when we get in the shower. :hmmm:

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Its beautiful! I really like the wall color with the blue grey cabinets, and the rugs. Thanks for sharing!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Wow! That is so beautiful.

Our bathroom looks like one of the hospital bathrooms from that Silent Hill video game.

:paperbag:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Beautiful..... Seems as if you kind of have to wait for Great things!!!!