That moment when you realize they aren't babies anymore...

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Was playing with the fishbone on a string with the three younger ones earlier. And there was a split second where I was reminded of Lucky while looking at Oscar that just sent pangs through my heart. Oscar and Oliver both look a LOT like Lucky so it happens a lot, but there was something... different this time.

Then it hit me. There was suddenly this maturity that showed in Oscar's face. It was ever so briefly, but so made me think of Lucky. Oliver has has that mature look now and then, but it doesn't remind me of Lucky at all. Oliver looks more like Grumpy Cat, lol. But yeah, I realized it was not the usual recognition this time with Oscar. And it really hit me then that my babies won't be babies for very much longer.

I swear the time since I got them has flown by. On Sunday, it will be four months since I brought them home. And on Sunday they will be 7 months old. I was sure we just celebrated 6 months yesterday, where did the month go??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if it's my imagination or not, but the boys seem to have gotten so much bigger since Lucky died. They must weigh as much, if not more than, he did. 

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably so because they're deep in the growing stage.  I remember one week my Benny gained a pound!  He went to the vet back to back because I was trying to figure out his chronic diarrhea/soft stool.  Now his growth has slowed down considerably.  I think he's around 9 pounds.  He started off big but might end up small with short legs/neck afterall, soooo cute!  But apparently, he eats as much as a 15 pound cat according to the primal raw frozen nugget bag.  Kinda think it's BS though.  Like the tiny serving sizes for human food.  

kitty kisser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat Rose is over 3 yrs old and I think she still acts like a baby. I know her body is big but inside to me she's still my little kitten.;)

laura h

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yeah. Comet just turned a year, and I was looking through all those pictures of my tiny kitten and realized how much he's grown up. I was kind of sad, but happy that I got to experience that with him. I was his one and only human, and we are very closely bonded. 

I love you, my Comet.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I've definitely bonded more with the boys as they've gotten older. Hard to wrap my head around the fact they'll be 7 months on Tuesday. And tomorrow, it will be 5 months since they came into our home!

Oscar has become a total mama's boy as he's gotten older. Follows me pretty much everywhere I go. Funny, I look at him, and I see he's a bigger cat, but in my mind's eye, he's still that tiny little funny-lookin' kitten.

@Kitty kisser - I called my Lucky my "kitten-cat" all of his 16 years :)

Last edited:

picklespepper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kittens are just about 7 months old as well.  Pepper, the male, has looked quite mature for some time now.  At about 5 months he could have passed as full grown already.  He's huge and his face has no traces of his kitteny past.  Pickles, the female, is more of a waif and just looks younger though she's growing too.  She is also more of a spaz and silly so seems more kitteny in action though Pepper still definitely has his moments.

When do kittens reach their full size?   Pepper is really big and to think he could still grow kind of freaks me out!  LOL  The other day he was stretched out on my lap and from his head to back feet he reached all the way from my ankles to my stomach!

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mia is growing fast lol when she arrived she's too tiny and I was scared to hold her now she is getting taller.

She has long legs but body so slender but I am sure she is gaining some weight because she eats a lot.

I have to enjoy while she is young and active and I don't care anymore if she is knocking my stuff (as long she's not hurting herself)

It's what they are when they are kittens, play---play---play  :-)

Last edited:

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
I can't believe how big these boys are, but how tiny their voices sound. They still sound like the little pipsqueaks they were when they were tiny. Oliver has the weirdest voice ever. He always sounds like the most pained cat in the world when he wants something really bad. Like when it's feeding time at night, or when he wants to go upstairs. Like right now, lol.

Oscar is still a crazy kitten, that's for sure. A bg one, but still. My sister came over today and had put a bag she had just emptied on the floor. Oscar was exploring it and his head instantly went in the handle. Before we even had a chance to react, he took off like a bat out of you-know-where. I'm pretty sure he looped through the house a full four times in the span of 30 seconds. I've never seen him move that fast since we put that pseudo e-collar on him after he was neutered. He ran around just like that until the paper plate got knocked off. He finally ended up on a shelf that I could barely get to (of course!). Finally managed to get close enough and slipped it off his head. His brother just watched with the wide-eyed stare that he has.

And speaking of Oliver, he's REALLY huge. And I swear he gets bigger every single day.