Thanksgiving ?

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

How long is it safe to leave a defrosted turkey in the fridge?
I would keep it NO longer than 1 to 2 days at the most!  Poultry doesn't keep well once it is thawed. Other meats can last maybe 2 to 3 days. Use fish immediately!

Refrigerator temp should be at 40 °F or below. I keep the temp on my fridge a little below because each time you open the door, you are lowering the inside temperature by allowing room-air temps to enter. If you have your temp set cooler, be sure to store your eggs closer to the front of the refrigerator because the air is colder at the back (where the fan usually is in most refrigerators) and they tend to freeze or partially freeze. But don't store them on the door because that is the warmest area in the refrigerator. I only keep condiments on the door. My dairy stuff all goes on a shelf. 

In addition to keeping the temperature in your fridge at 40 °F, you can take additional steps to make sure your refrigerated foods stay as safe as possible.

Avoid "Overpacking". Cold air must circulate around refrigerated foods to keep them properly chilled. (Same for the freezer).

Wipe Up Spills Immediately. In addition to helping reduce the growth of the Listeria bacteria (which can grow at refrigerated temperatures), getting rid of spills — especially drips from thawing meats — will help prevent "cross-contamination," where bacteria from one food spread to another.

Keep It Covered: Store refrigerated foods in covered containers or sealed storage bags, and check leftovers daily for spoilage.

Check Expiration Dates On Foods. If food is past its "use by" date, discard it. If you're not sure or if the food looks questionable, the simple rule is: "When in doubt, throw it out".

Clean The Fridge Out Frequently. Make this task part of your kitchen cleaning routine!

Freezer temperature should be at 0 °F or below for safe storage.

One last tip: Opening and closing the refrigerator door changes the air inside. The longer a door is left open, the greater the air-flow exchange. So, standing in front of the fridge trying to decide what you want should be avoided. When putting groceries away in the fridge - do it quickly and get out. Standing close to the open door will help block the air-flow as opposed to just leaving the door standing wide open.  So, opening and closing the door several times while putting the food away is better than leaving it open for a longer time. Short periods allow the inside air to re-cool faster. (I hope this makes sense?)

Sorry, my Ex was a refrigerator guy and he was a freak about leaving the fridge hanging open! LOL

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
To thaw: one day for every five pounds (although I have had turkeys that took way longer than that).

To keep: no longer than two days.....tops. One day would be better.

I always brine our turkeys...overnight in an ice chest in the basement.

Last edited:

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like we will be going to my niece's house for dinner, I don't know exactly what she will have but I know it will be turkey with all the trimmings.  Her daughter will be baking cookies and I always look forward to homemade cookies since I don't bake myself. There will be other desserts I'm sure but I don't know what.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I think my turkey and some of the other meats will come out of the freezer today to thaw. :nod:

I almost have the cocktail list worked out. :)

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
We're having friends over for dinner tonight to try out a couple of things for our big dinner next Sunday.  Hubby is making a pork loin and we're also making butternut squash gratin, green salad with feta, walnuts and dried cranberries, and sauteed snow peas.  AND cranberry margaritas!   

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We're having friends over for dinner tonight to try out a couple of things for our big dinner next Sunday.  Hubby is making a pork loin and we're also making butternut squash gratin, green salad with feta, walnuts and dried cranberries, and sauteed snow peas.  AND cranberry margaritas!   :beerpals:
betsygee betsygee Unless it is an old family recipe secret, would you share how to make the butternut squash gratin. Pretty please.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you!! BetsyGee!   I copied and printed it!! I absolutely love butternut squash--although it is really aired for me to peel and cut,

But a friend has suggested to nuke it for 5 minutes; which makes it softer and easier for us 'challenged' people to cut and peel. 

Before my injury, I never had a problem with the squash~ but now I do...

I may edit the rosemary, though..I do not care for rosemary...

Last edited:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

No family secrets. :D    The nice thing is it can be mostly made ahead of time.  I use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.  

Thank you!! BetsyGee!   I copied and printed it!! I absolutely love butternut squash--although it is really aired for me to peel and cut,
But a friend has suggested to nuke it for 5 minutes; which makes it softer and easier for us 'challenged' people to cut and peel. 
Before my injury, I never had a problem with the squash~ but now I do...

I may edit the rosemary, though..I do not care for rosemary...
I love it, too! If you have a Trader Joe's store near you, they have cubed butternut squash in packages. It needs to be cut into smaller cubes but it's a lot easier than peeling them raw. I've never tried microwaving them! Let us know how that works.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

DD's BF is joining us this year. His parents (for whatever reason) do not  celebrate Thanksgiving 

He has dietary restrictions so there's a lot of things he can't eat (dairy, gluten, chocolate, most alcohol and anything oily or greasy)

As of right now, the menu will be

Roast beef (probably an eye round as it's lean) (DD AKA The Queen
 doesn't like turkey)

Gluten free beef gravy to go with

Vegan roasted garlic mashed potatoes

Salad of some kind with vinaigrette. Maybe I'll make some gluten free croutons to go on that

Maybe a veggie- DD is very picky about vegetables too

Gluten free rolls or bread of some kind with vegan butter

Fruit sorbet with gluten free, dairy free sugar cookies for dessert

A roasted bone in chicken breast to shred up to use as a topper/treat for the furkids. Lily, Sophie and Bailey (the dog) will get some roast beef as well. Henry will  just get chicken. Beef is too rich for his tummy. 
I decided to go with a spiral cut honey ham instead. I also bought a smaller turkey breast. I was going to roast a bone in chicken breast for the furkids but the turkey breast was on sale so I got that instead. They will love it and if DD's BF has an issue with ham, he can have turkey. The leftovers will make good sandwiches. I found gluten free baguettes and vegan whipped butter so all I need now is salad fixins and I will get those on Wednesday so they are nice and fresh.

laura h

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanksgiving is a tough holiday for me. As is Christmas. With my childhood, going into a coma sounds better than a holiday. So we are not having a traditional dinner. It's my daughter and I alone and neither of us want the traditional turkey. So we are having snacks and chick flicks in our pajamas.

Popcorn

Hot chocolate

Doritoes

My daughter's famous taco dip

Bagel dip and bagels

Veggies and dip

and homemade chocolate cake in a cup

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
betsygee betsygee Thank you for sharing the recipe. I copied it and hope to make this soon. I already have the squash in the fridge. I don't know what rosemary taste like, so I may have to do without that. :nod:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm not normally a fan of squash, betsygee betsygee , but that looks tasty. :nod: