Temperature and Behavior? Ferals won't eat.

kittyandco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In a galaxy, far far away...called Illinois.
Hi. So as you all know, or probably know, North America is just about frozen at the moment. 10 to 60 below zero. Pretty dang Cold.

But, having just mass-upgraded the cat houses, we were sure the cats would have been somewhat toasty. We even used garage insulation! But, that's not the issue. Not exactly.

Ever since Monday, it would seem that the cats are refusing to eat. Just, refusing. I'll put out warmed up wet cat food, the kind they love, and they just won't eat. Not even the dry food. They just let it freeze until I bring it in.

I'm not sure what's the deal. I know this is really really cold weather, but i'm trying to figure out why they would just refuse like that? They don't look sick or anything, even though they shiver when they leave the boxes. They're fully aware the food is there, too, and it's unlike anything i've seen for a feral to refuse food.

Also, I've seen them sitting outside the cat houses for no apparent reason, even with the wind chills, so they seem perfectly willing to LEAVE the box, though I have no idea why they'd do that either.

I'm curious, is there any connection between a feral cat not eating and the temperature/climate? Is it a thing they do to save energy, or something? Save calories? Hibernation? Something? Why would the kitties not eat?

Oh, and if it matters, it's four sibling cats who stay in the houses, and about three loners who come and go daily. The non-eating applies to all of them.

Many Thanks in advance for any answers!

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the weather has something to do with it.  I spent more than $200 on blood and parasite tests for my outside cat last summer.  All came back clear and the vet suggested he might not be eating because it was too hot.  The cat is doing it now - eats very little, if anything.

I would keep offering them food, even though some will go to waste.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would definitely keep an eye on them, though.  If anyone gets weeping eyes or sneezes, they will need antibiotics.  Thanks so much for helping them!

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat eats very little also. I was wondering the same thing.i keep feeding him and he does not come out. The birds are eating the food . I do feed him in his heated house and he does eat his food. I give him handfuls a little at a time over the course of the day. Can't wait for this cold weather to end. One more day.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep, one more day! UGH.

Just wanted to chime in to say we're seeing the same thing. The regulars that are right around our home come for the meal - then eat VERY little. Nothing like what they normally do.

As of last night, I put their canned food on the heat ducts before taking it out to feed them. Everyone ate a few bites, but it was still mostly there this morning, frozen. No one ate anything close to what they normally do.

This afternoon, Khol just kept rubbing around my legs, but didn't eat a bite.

We've had storms before - summer storms, winter storms - two hurricanes... but they normally just hunker down and don't show up at all until the storm has passed (which is what a number of the more feral ferals are doing).

The birds are enjoying the kibble though. :nod:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyandco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ain't that the truth. This weather is just...Yikes! Suppose the only downside is that I have to go back to school once it warms up (blah, schoolwork), but one issue at a time.

Yeah, thanks for the input, you guys. Bit of an update, they started eating again about two hours ago. And they sure looked hungry! Ate everything. Which I find awful strange, since they had access to food almost all day, and they didn't eat anything then.

Perhaps it is the weather? Mayhap i'll just wait and see what happens once it gets warmer. I'll keep a close eye on them. Ferals are tough cookies. Just one more night, kitties...

astrael

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The closest I could think to explain it would be that they're in a heavy fat burning metabolic state, so the hormones for hunger aren't being triggered. I've had that happen after fasting for one reason or another. I just stop feeling hungry for a while. And when it warms up, or they've used a certain amount of stored fat they probably start feeling hungry like normal again.

Best I can guess at least. Ours are doing it too. Mostly, I try to leave more dry food out till they start eating more. They still get the wet food too, but they don't even eat half as much, so I put a little less out. Ah, can't wait for spring. I miss seeing the girls chasing each other around my back yard. lol Fall was hysterical, with the falling leaves. (Hurricane Sandy also robbed them of that joy their first year)

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats aren't the only ones; I've lost my appetite too. I just drink cup after cup of hot tea and milk. Soup is still somewhat appealing, so I've been eating soup, mostly. What is it about the cold that's making me thirsty rather than hungry? Dry air?

My cats are eating only a little less than usual, but they've left some kibble in their bowls for the last couple of days. I didn't connect it to the cold, but that makes sense.

All three of us are staying indoors, by the way. It's unusually cold indoors, but it's well above freezing. I always thought that the cold would make you more hungry because your metabolism would go up to maintain your body temperature, but maybe that's only what happens once you get used to it. Maybe at first your body goes, "Hm, I need this energy to keep the body temperature up; I can't use it for digestion"?

How are you guys keeping your cats' water thawed? If they're as thirsty as I am, they probably want it.

Last edited:

astrael

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I read adding sugar lowers the freezing point of water, and offers them a little more energy. And of course, changing it often. I usually give them warm milk every other night when its like this. It guarantees they're getting some calories and hydration when they don't eat as much wet food. Seems that milk is the universal exception to not touching much of anything in this cold. It's lactose free of course. (Convenient that we all use only that anyway)

And I'm pretty sure that milk was the reason Kira started getting much closer to me, even more then regular meals. She's such a milk fiend. Even the dairy flavored kitty treats are adored by her.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have read that when the weather is very cold, animals need to do everything they can to conserve all their energy.  The energy needs to be used to keep them warm.  Although eating will give them more energy, it also takes energy to get to the food, eat the food and then digest the food.  So most cats will find a warm, secure cozy spot and not more until absolutely necessary. 

Neither of my two regulars ate much during the cold spell.  By late yesterday they were very hungry.  I even left dry food out for them last night and they ate most of it.  They will make up for it the next few days. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyandco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm, so I guess the ferals basically ARE hibernating - hunkering down, not eating. They HAVE been sleeping more than usual. Seems logical, if that's what keeps them going. Welp, okay then!

As for the water, I just keep replacing it when it gets a bit icy. Yes, they do drink a whole lot more of water recently! And me too, actually, I just realized. This weather really effects us all, doesn't it? I will try the sugar trick.

So, then I guess we can agree this is a normal thing for ferals, if others have been noticing it too. That's a bit comforting to know.

Thanks for all your ideas and stuff, everybody! :wavey:

Adz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a couple of feral cats that live in an outside insulated box I made for them. Every winter when it's below freezing they seem to just go into a semi-hibernation mode and hardly eat... I always get concerned but they always seem to get through it all. Food goes to waste but no idea what else to do. Hope that helps a little. Astrael post in this string makes a lot of sense. Roll on Spring!