Teeth Cleaning - Professionally or DIY?

blue_monday_88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, I was a real stickler for taking my cat every year or so to get her teeth professionally cleaned, till I found out they gas her to do the thorough cleaning, which I am NOT too happy about (I was under the impression they gave her a nice little cocktail).

So do you guys DIY or get them cleaned by the vet?

shambelle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by blue_monday_88

Hi guys, I was a real stickler for taking my cat every year or so to get her teeth professionally cleaned, till I found out they gas her to do the thorough cleaning, which I am NOT too happy about (I was under the impression they gave her a nice little cocktail).

So do you guys DIY or get them cleaned by the vet?
I have to take my Teddy for a professional cleaning because he has bad teeth and is starting to have some issues with him gums. Once they take care of that, we're going to start brushing his teeth at home. Our vet would like us to give him a professional cleaning every 2-3 years unless his gums get worse.

My PJ has never - at least not with me - had her teeth cleaned. She has the most amazing teeth ever, the vet is absolutely shocked!

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The gas they use is very, very safe for cats and IMO, is a lot safer than the little cocktail you mentioned. The cocktail usually contains ketamine and that (again IMO) is not appropriate for use in cats. The benefits of the gas are that the animal comes out of it much faster and it metabolizes in the lungs, not the liver and kidneys, which seem to be easily compromised in many cats.

My opinion is that you cannot perform an adequate cleaning/subgingival scraping at home. It is best left to the professionals. You can and should practice good oral hygiene for your cats at home, but just like us, a professional cleaning and scaling is indicated.

Best of luck,

~gf~

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can't DIY tooth cleaning. It takes scraping, both of the tooth surface, and very carefully under the gum line, using a sharp instrument called a tooth scaler. Just imagine yourself trying to do that on a fully awake cat. You'll end up in the people hospital, and the cat will end up in the pet hospital.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ditto the last two posts.. inbetween cleaning you can ustilize many things to reduce the need for fequent cleanings..

jeanw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ditto the posts by Gayef and Coaster! Definitely get professional cleanings. Teeth that aren't properly cared for and cleaned can lead to other health problems. It's very important to have their teeth cleaned at the vet's office.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blue_monday_88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JeanW

Ditto the posts by Gayef and Coaster! Definitely get professional cleanings. Teeth that aren't properly cared for and cleaned can lead to other health problems. It's very important to have their teeth cleaned at the vet's office.
Thanks for all your great advice!

The reason I ask...well it's multi-faceted. For one, I grew up with a cat, Cody, the sweetest little guy in the world. He died a horrible painful death from kidney infections, gum disease and abscessed teeth because well, basically we were not educated on it by our vet (I was only 6 y/o when we got him, and 22 when we put him down, so needless to say, not all my fault).

I made a promise to myself that when and if I ever had another cat, I would be proactive with their dental and physical health. I make it a point to get Cassie's teeth cleaned every 1.5 years...even the vet says she has no plaque build-up, so I could even go 2 years.

I was concerned, though, because the last time we went, she took a LONG time to snap out of her anesthetic -- over 24 hours. She was all disoriented, growling, hissing, eyes all dilated. Of course, we were concerned, had her in a room all by herself under a blanket (the sun was really bugging her out).

I wondered if this was all necessary...plus, the vet who did the procedure that day was one we were not familiar with...needless to say, Cassie wasn't comfortable with her either LOL. The vet also said that we had nothing to worry about...Well, of course when my baby is all out-of-sorts for longer than they anticipate, I worry.

Thank you for all your assistance. We try to brush her teeth, but she will have NONE of it!!!!!!