Switching to miralax instead of lactose. Worried about dehydration.

Yerocnella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has been on lactulose for a few years now as he has megacolon. He's done great. We also have him in on royal canin dry food. He only eats kibble. For two years I tried every wet food under the sun. Ended up giving him royal that has a good reputation for megacolon cats. He's done great. However, I'd like to switch to miralax. I've seen many say it's their preference. And it seems like it is less stressful for the car because it's sprinkled on the food instead of administered into the mouth like lactulose. This is very appealing to me. So my question is more so about hydration. I've heard cats can get dehydrated on miralax. Should I be worried? He does fine on lactulose. I was under the assumption they both acted the same way, by drawing water into the bowls to help move things along. Am I wrong about this? This is day two of miralax and I monitoring him closely. Had anyone been in my situation? Is my cat more likely to become dehydrated on miralax than on lactulose. Also, I asked the vet about subcutaneous fluids to keep him hydrated and they acted like as crazy. So that's not an option at the moment. He does has 3 water bowls around the house. I think that's all. Thanks!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Miralax is not sprinkled directly on food. You have to dissolve the dose in water first and then mix it into canned food. A tablespoon of water or so to a cat sized dose is plenty. No different really from the Human instructions on the label indicating that a dose needs to be dissolved in a full glass of water before ingestion. This prevents dehydration as the Miralax draws water from the body into the digestive tract.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Miralax is not sprinkled directly on food. You have to dissolve the dose in water first and then mix it into canned food. A tablespoon of water or so to a cat sized dose is plenty. No different really from the Human instructions on the label indicating that a dose needs to be dissolved in a full glass of water before ingestion. This prevents dehydration as the Miralax draws water from the body into the digestive tract.
I totally agree with this. dissolve the miralax in a little bit of water and syringe it into your boys' mouth like you did the lactulose. He will probably like it better because there is no taste or odor and it's not sticky. But some people have had issues with giving Miralax in the undissolved form. I just wouldn't do it that way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yerocnella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bummer. He absolutely hates the syringe. Trying to find a way to make his life less stressful. Thanks for the info. Guess it's no real difference between the two if I have to syringe it in.

Yerocnella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I totally agree with this. dissolve the miralax in a little bit of water and syringe it into your boys' mouth like you did the lactulose. He will probably like it better because there is no taste or odor and it's not sticky. But some people have had issues with giving Miralax in the undissolved form. I just wouldn't do it that way.
Thanks for the info. He absolutely hates the syringe. He's a very picky little man. I've been trying to rack my brain on how I can give him what he needs without upsetting him twice a day. I wonder if anyone has had any luck mixing it in with drinking water. That way he would have it throughout the day with water so maybe it would still help his bowls and keep him hydrated.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Will he eat plain meat baby food? if so, mix it with a small serving of baby food and add a little bit of water.

Yerocnella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately I haven't found a baby food, broth/stock, wet cat food, or raw food he will tolerate. He's a picky little man. Even after years of testing different options he still only eats his kibble and nothing else lol though I am still trying.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
how about tuna water. Does he like that. My guys are picky too, but whenever I holler "tuna!" they come running because they love the water from a can of tuna. If he will drink that, you could mix up the miralax in some water, then add a little tuna water to that for him to lap up. Then save the rest of the tuna water for other days in a jar. One jar might last a few days since you wouldn't want to give him much if you need to to this twice per day.