Switching Food

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well Steve was whinning at me today about the cost of feeding the babies, And I do have to say, with the ex taking such a chunk of our budjet we do need to cut food costs down a bit.

I am currently feeding Purina Pro plan, and love the results.

But its looking like I will have to switch down to Purina One, Personally I think the ingridents are fairly similar, and it shouldnt be a bad switch. The biggest diffrence I see, is the pro plan is a very high Protein rate, 40% and One is 34%...that seems to be the biggest diffrence to my eye...

The kittens are still going to get Purina Pro Plan just the adults will be making the switch.

Purina ONE:
Guaranteed analysis

CRUDE PROTEIN (MIN) 34.0%

CRUDE FAT (MIN) 13.0%

CRUDE FIBER (MAX) 2.0%

MOISTURE (MAX) 12.0%

ASH (MAX) 7.0%

LINOLEIC ACID (MIN) 1.4%

CALCIUM (Ca) (MIN) 0.8%

PHOSPHORUS (P) (MIN) 0.7%

MAGNESIUM (Mg) (MAX) 0.09%

SELENIUM (Se) (MIN) 0.30 mg/kg

VITAMIN A (MIN) 11,000 IU/kg

VITAMIN E (MIN) 100 IU/kg

TAURINE (MIN) 0.15%

Ingredients

Chicken, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, poultry by-product meal, wheat flour, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), wheat gluten, whole grain corn, fish meal, brewers dried yeast, potassium chloride, malted barley flour, animal digest, calcium carbonate, salt, tetra sodium pyrophosphate, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, taurine, phosphoric acid, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.
C-4153

Purina Pro Plan:
Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (Min.) 40.0%
Crude Fat (Min.) 16.0%
Crude Fiber (Max.) 2.0%
Moisture (Max.) 12.0%
Linoleic Acid (Min.) 1.8%
Calcium (Ca) (Min.) 0.85%
Phosphorus (P)(Min.) 0.8%
Magnesium (Mg) (Max.) 0.09%
Vitamin A (Min.) 10,000 IU/kg
Taurine (Min.) 0.15%

Ingredients:
INGREDIENTS: Chicken, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, poultry by-product meal, wheat gluten, egg product, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), whole grain corn, wheat flour, fish meal, potassium chloride, brewers dried yeast, phosphoric acid, animal digest, calcium carbonate, salt, tetra sodium pyrophosphate, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, taurine, Vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, ascorbic acid (source of Vitamin C), manganese sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite. C-4623

loraandjeff

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Scamper, just out of curiosity are you able to feed raw? Doing it entirely yourself is the cheapest amd takes approximately 2 hours to prepare a months worth of food.

I cheat and buy frozen ground chicken/chicken liver mix from a rescue, then add a tablespoon of packaged supplement...all in all it costs me $7Cdn/week to feed 2 cats. The frozen chicken mixture is $2.50Cdn/lb.

Just a thought in case this might be financially feasible for you without having to sacrifice quality.

Lora

I should clarify, that's $7/wk for both cats, not each.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see a lot of difference, except as you pointed out the difference in protein. Should be fine

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by loraandjeff

Hi Scamper, just out of curiosity are you able to feed raw? Doing it entirely yourself is the cheapest amd takes approximately 2 hours to prepare a months worth of food.

I cheat and buy frozen ground chicken/chicken liver mix from a rescue, then add a tablespoon of packaged supplement...all in all it costs me $7Cdn/week to feed 2 cats. The frozen chicken mixture is $2.50Cdn/lb.

Just a thought in case this might be financially feasible for you without having to sacrifice quality.

Lora

I should clarify, that's $7/wk for both cats, not each.
Nope I am not able to do raw. I dont feel I have enough, knowledge of it. Personally, as well as I do not like supplementing. Thats just IMO.

Also we have alot more than 2 kitties here

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

I don't see a lot of difference, except as you pointed out the difference in protein. Should be fine
Thanks! I have been looking it over and chewing it over, and there really isnt to much diffrence. Is it the best thing ever? No...but its not the worset and these guys have done really really well on Pro Plan.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
May I suggest the pro plan natural... no corn no by products and you should get your"deal" it % s are nearly idetical to the one