Switch from free feeding?

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, all!
I have a question about free feeding vs. scheduled meals. Here's the background.
We have two cats: Sammy is 14 months old and probably around 12 lbs or so (he's very long). Lola is 9 months old and around 6 or 7 lbs (she is VERY small is body length and height, and I do not expect much more growth from her, as she looks like a clone of the mother right now - same height and only slightly shorter in body length). Anyway, when I got Sammy, he was free fed. When we got Lola, she was just over 3 months old and recently recovered from a pretty devastating bout with panleukopenia (feline dystemper) at 6 weeks. During the illness, she had basically lost all her body fat and stopped growning for a bit while her body struggled to fight the disease...........Since then, she's always been normal as far as growth RATE, but a little behind on the timeline (aka when she was 3 months old she was the approximate weight and size of an 8 week old kitten and grew according to that timeline).

I free fed her along with Sammy, making sure she had as much to eat as she wanted so she could keep up with her body's attempt to make up for lost time. They were on a special, vet prescribed low residue food, because Lola had some residual GI issues from her illness. That worked very well........she grew very consistantly and remained a healthy lean size (normal kitten pudge, of course
). About a month ago I gradually switched them to Natural Balance, which they both like very much.

Now, however, she seems to have stopped growing and is getting a little pudgy around the midsection. Sammy has also thickened out since he left kittenhood. I'm thinking the best thing for them would be to switch to a feeding schedule so that I can better control how much food each of them is getting. I don't want them getting obese because Sammy is already a huge cat and Lola has a tiny head and would look ridiculous, not to mention the obvious health risks of obesity.
Before I switch to a schedule, though, I wanted your opinions on a few things:

1. Do you think I'm right to do this now or should I wait until August when Lola will be 1 year old? She really seems to have stopped growing, but I want her to have the nutrition she needs.

2. What's the best way to go about this? I want to make sure the transition is as smooth as possible for all three of us.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not a vet but Kittens are kittens till a year and since she was "held back" a little by illness I wouldnt... but check with your vet

They are on adult food already since Natural Balence doesnt make age specific formulas

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I am not a vet but Kittens are kittens till a year and since she was "held back" a little by illness I wouldnt... but check with your vet

They are on adult food already since Natural Balence doesnt make age specific formulas
Thanks for the reply. They've been on adult food for a long time, since the low residue didn't come in a kitten formulation. She was going to the vet pretty frequently, though, so her weight and health was monitored closely and the vet said she was doing great on the adult food, so not to worry (better adult food that keeps her healthy than kitten that gave her diarrhea). At this point, with the overall growth slowed down, I'm just concerned that she'll only grow fatter and I know it's harder to get rid of obesity than prevent it.......

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in favor of fixed mealtimes. But while two meals a day may be adequate for Sammy, Lola probably should still be having three or four. You could just reduce her portion size per meal if she's getting a little wide for her frame. I'm not sure how you're going to swing this schedule, unless you feed them separately, because Sammy's going to put up a big fuss when Lola gets fed and he doesn't, and he's going to go for her food if he can!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, coster. What you said makes sense. Does anyone else have an opinion on this, or suggestions as to how to go about it?

eatrawfish

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with coaster. Fixed feedings is a good idea, but with kittens you want to do more smaller meals. I think I read about that in Anitra Frazier's book even...

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that switching to timed feedings sounds good, and that giving her an extra feeding during the day would not be a bad idea...a little time out in Mom's bedroom or a bathroom, or laundry room where she can eat privately.

Usually they give a range of the amount to feed based on weight, try giving her (over the course of a day) the lower end of the recommended amt.

hth,