Sweet, friendly and affectioniate breeds?

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I would say that black & white male (neutered of course!) plain old domestic shorthair alley cats are the sweetest, lovingest, most affectionate in-your-face cats I've ever known, along with orange tabbies.

If you really want a purebred, I'd vote for a Maine Coon - they're very loyal & sweet, mellow family cats. They're sweet & affectionate without being too demanding.

about maine coons

maine coons for adoption

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you REALLY must have a purebreed, I vote for the Maine Coon. They develop a loyalty to 1 person in the household and will love that person exclusively.

Other than my Shalimar, I've always had plain ole shorthair alley cats. Someone in the neighborhood would have a litter of kittens and I'd pick one up. It depends on how the kitten is raised. Mom's cat used to fall asleep in her arms. Mom could do anything and that cat would come bounding back for more fun. My sister's cats used to sleep on top of anything high they could get to. Something the kids and dog couldn't climb on. The kids never abused the cats, they were just high energy toddlers.

My advice...go to the local shelter and fall in love. Give that cat all your love and eventually you may have a lap-cat.